3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flutter in 2006 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
pkhanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flutter in 2006 4.7

I have a 2006 SLT 4 x 4 with the 4.7 engine. It has 22,000 miles on it and for the most part has been trouble free. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I am at stopped with my foot on the brake idling, or at idle in park there is a flutter like a misfire. There is a distinct quiver or shaking like I have felt when a plug wire or plug would be bad. The tach doesn't move any at all when this happens,and my local dealer says that according to the computer there is no problem with the engine. They seem to think it is nothing to get excited about. Is it possible that a mount is broken or worn? The truck runs fine, mileage has not dropped, nor has there been any lack of performance. Just beginning to bug me a little bit. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM
DRSDodge
Default Same problem

I have the SAME EXACT issue. I too have a 2006 RAM 1500 but mine is a Big Horn edition. I cleaned the throttle body thinking it would resolve this but it didn't. I am wondering if it is the spark plugs. I doubt a mount would be worn already as I only have 30k miles on it. I plan on taking mine into the dealership for a warranty inspection before I get to 36k miles and if they find something, I will let you know. If they go as far as inspecting the spark plugs, I may just pay them to install the Champion iridium spark plugs that I want to buy.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:43 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I vaguely remember someone posting about some sort of vibration a few weeks ago. I think it ended up being a weird resonance they were getting between the AC fan and something else.

See if its there with the AC off. See if you can get it to be there with the AC on, then turn the AC off and wait a few seconds to see if it goes awaay. You ahve to wait a few seconds cuz the fan doesn't turn off right away.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
pkhanc

DRS Dodge, thanks for confirming I'm not crazy! Let me know what your dealer says. I bought new plugs but have not installed them yet. xfeejayx, this condition is there if the A/C is on or not. I read that same post a few days ago.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
popps68
Rookie

When they did away with the distributor they opened up a can of worms,hence the mds is also giving owners trouble.GM tried this back a few years ago with the cadillac 8,6,4,
Remember? What in the world was chrysler thinking,they could make it better?
I am sorry guys but right now i am pleased with my little 4.7!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 AM
popps68
Rookie

You know sometimes we all think to technical at times with all the bells and whistles and crap that's on our trucks. How about this? maybe you have a tank of bad gas, i have gotten 3 tanks of bad gas in the last few years, especially with the corn blends.

Quick Reply: Flutter in 2006 4.7