3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
TooFastForLove
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird ticking noise

Ok, so I have this weird ticking/clicking noise coming from my front left wheel.

1st thing i think, is if it was a rock in the treads or a nail in the tire, because thats pretty much what it sounds like. Although the noise isnt consistant with each rotation of the tire.

I looked over the tire a 100 times, no nail or anything puncturing it, i crawled under the truck to look for anything out of the norm, and i dont see anything either.

Anyone got any idea what gives?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it only do it while heating up or cooling down?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the good news, if it does it based on the rotation of the tire that really limits where it is coming from.

If there is nothing in the tire tread then I would pull the tire and inspect the brakes. Spin the rotor with the tire off and see if you can hear it.

One other question, does it tick if you apply the brakes or does that stop the ticking?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

can a halfshaft tick out of sync with tire rotation?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
TooFastForLove
Rookie

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Well, the good news, if it does it based on the rotation of the tire that really limits where it is coming from.

If there is nothing in the tire tread then I would pull the tire and inspect the brakes. Spin the rotor with the tire off and see if you can hear it.

One other question, does it tick if you apply the brakes or does that stop the ticking?
If i apply the brakes, it still ticks, it just slows down. I have even noticed the ticking gets a little faster when i am on a turn, not necessarily a 90 degree right hand turn, but like when you are going down a road with a curve.

Really just boggles my mind, although, im not the most mechanic saavy with pinpointing noises, but it started about two weeks ago, just not as bad, now its getting worse.

just last night, i heard a squeeky brake noise too, which is odd, because i got my brakes and rotors done last january.

Ill see what i can do about taking the wheel off, kind of a bitch, because all i have is the stock jack, and doesnt work that great on a lifted truck.

Dealership here i come! Crossing fingers for warranty!

Thanks for the help

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said it wasn't consistent with the tire rotation;

"Although the noise isnt consistant with each rotation of the tire."

Quick Reply: Weird ticking noise