3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 hemi gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:56 PM
NWHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 hemi gas mileage

My 04 gets 14-16 mpg wich seems to be respectable. This may be off the subject a bit, but I also have a ticking noise and my dealer says it is normal injector pulse noise. The 04 Hemi also has a computer glitch that causes it die. They tell me that 5 star is aware of the issue and is coming out with a flash in 4-6 weeks. Well, it has been 2 months and no word.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an 04 hemi with about 23.5k miles on it. I get on average around 14.5 mpg with my daily commute being about 18 miles city and 30 highway. I just through on a K&N intake and my console is reading that I'm getting 30 miles more for this tank of gas, but we'll see what the math says when i fill up today. I found out that Superchips makes a programmer that has an 87 Octane setting to help with gas mileage. I think i'm gonna look into that.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
shortburb
Rookie

. This may be off the subject a bit, but I also have a ticking noise and my dealer says it is normal injector pulse noise. The 04 Hemi also has a computer glitch that causes it die. They tell me that 5 star is aware of the issue and is coming out with a flash in 4-6 weeks. Well, it has been 2 months and no word.
alot of injectors do click and are definitely audible. if you touch the injector when the trucks running you can feel it click also.

the computer flash stuff sounds like a load of BS to me...But it may be true i dunno..

Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You have some issue.

Mine has not changed much since new. Always been in the 14 range and I am about 80-85% city driving. It recently dived to 13.6-.7, but that is a result of my new wheels/tires.

Like I said you have an issue or are in the gas to much. When driving around town what RPMs is your truck shifting at when you drive what you consider normal? Light footed is very subjective, RPMs are not

How many miles? Do you know for sure all maintenance was done on schedule? I just got done with my plugs, was not as bad as I thought they would be. Also cleaned the TB, it was VERY dirty.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
seawind3000
Professional

"light footed 99% of the time" is your problem. Your rings have not seated well because of the low power settings your using. I just bought a 08 SLT 5.7 mds, with about 20 miles on the od. After a good warm up around town, I took it to 100mph. At a hi power setting the rings will seat better with the cylinders, higher compression, less blow-by, higher mpg. At 300 miles on the od, I'm avg 15mpg combined, about 19mpg on the hi-way. That's with frequent WOT....a lot of WOT. This truck is getting way better mpg than my 2000 1500 sport 5.2. When I get about 1000 miles on it, the mpg,s should even get better. Warm it up well then drive it like you stole it. You might have to re-hone your cylinder's and start the break-in again.

Mike

Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

His truck is a 05. He bought it used and I am sure it is well broke in by now

Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM
lindengauthier
Question help anyone?

Hey i have a 2005 dodge ram hemi and there is an engine light because of emissions.This wouldnt effect my gas milage right?? And anoyone know roughly how many km u guys get on a tank?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lindengauthier,

If the MIL light comes on and remains on while driving, it suggests a potential engine control problem and the need for system service. Although the vehicle will usually be drivable and not need towing, I would recommend having the vehicle serviced by your dealer as soon as possible. Prolonged driving with the MIL light on could cause damage to the engine control system. It could also affect fuel economy and driveability.

If the MIL starts flashing, severe catalytic converter damage and power loss will soon occur. Immediate service is required. This information and more can be found in your Owner's Manual page, 165.

Also, as per the Fuel Consumption Guide the 2005 Ram 1500 with 5.7L engine should get roughly 18 L/100km city and 12 L/100km highway driving. Keep in mind that these ratings do come from a controlled environment and the fuel consumption of your vehicle my vary depending on factors such as your driving style and behaviour, vehicle acceleration and driving speed, the overall age and operating condition of your vehicle, temperature, weather, traffic and road conditions. In addition, power driven accessories (such as A/C) and other options that are installed in you Ram could also affect fuel use. For more of this information you can check out:
vehicles.gc.ca

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol not like anything bad is going to happen if you have what I'm guessing is an evap code. If it's a leak related I'd get it smoke tested to save the headache. If not it's usually more obvious as to what to replace like the purge valve, etc. And yes this can affect your gas mileage.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Jareski
Veteran

Double necro thread. I wasn't expecting that as I was scrolling through.

Quick Reply: 05 hemi gas mileage