3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Locker???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Romeosoldier03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker???

Im thinking of a locker...but dont know which to get....pro's and con's????? price??? someone help me...please.....thanks....

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean LSD, take your pick -- Detroit or Auburn. Both are excellent and will serve you well. I expect to use a Detroit if the need arises.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No Mikey, a locker is a different animal than an LSD. He may mean an LSD when he says locker, a lot do. But I think 'ole Romeo's been around the block enough to know the difference.

Romeo: If you are using your truck as a daily driver too, it's usually not a good idea. Turns on pavement will cause one side to hop as the differential cannot let one wheel spin faster than the other. Will be annoying at the least, it will also cause premature tire wear as well as rear end components. They are better than they used to be and Detroit even advertises that they are now fine for street use, but they really aren't.
Great mod for a weekend play toy, but not for a daily driver.
There are selectable lockers, such as the ARB air locker. Great unit, a buddy of mine with a F*RD King Ranch Diesel has a set front & rear, but they are big time expensive.
It's a b*tch to turn with them on, but for driving down a sloppy trail through the mud, they are fantastic.
Since we can do nothing in our front ends for traction since we have IFS, I think a locker in the back is kinda a waste anyway. A popular setup with the solid front guys is to have a locker in rear and an LSD in the front.
I'd go with an Auburn or TruTrac in the rear if I were you. They hook up damn near as good as a locker and the best thing about them is they are there when you need 'em and you don't even know you have them when you don't...

BTW: Header issues straightened out?

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-11-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the difference, but as you say, most people don't. Hence the "If you mean LSD..." Thank you for underlining my comment. Don't what I'd do without you.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My bad, I took your comment out of context.

Quick Reply: Locker???