3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning Oil? WTF/ Synthetic Oil Q?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil? WTF/ Synthetic Oil Q?

In my 06 1500 Hemi...

Cliff Notes

Truck sits for week. no oil leaks
Truck runs fine, no noises, good pressure, etc.
Check oil after it sat for another week, Oil is 2 quarts low
Oil is not being discharged anywhere or leaking

Changed to Amsoil a few oil changes ago. after i had over 20k on the truck. Now that i got a few changes under my belt i decided to go to the 7500 interval instead of 3k.

I checked it at 2k. Changed filter early and topped off due to mileage confusion I checked a few weeks later, oil level was fine. I checked it again today (about 6k later, i know) to see how burnt the oil is before i changed it monday. it is AT LEAST 2 quarts low. there is the "add mark" on the dipstick. the oil is just above the kink in the dipstick BELOW that.

Oil pressure is good, its not making noises or ticking, running great, mileage is fine etc. It has been sitting about a week solid now. There is No leaks under it, and no oil in/around the engine bay. WTF is it burning oil? how would i check that? did the oil just settle somewhere after sitting that long, is the motor keeping it somewhere?

I never noticed thsi when changing it at 3k, it was always where i left it.

Any ideas? if it is burning it, should i switch to dino oil again?

I would like to switch from amsoil to mobil. if i do that now should i do anything special, or since it is still synthetic can i make the switch?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. Actually for all cars it will do the same thing. You car burns oil. The longer you drive on the oil, the more oil you'll burn. I also do my changes every 7500 miles and I am always 1.5 to 2 quarts low at change time. The only reason I wait that long is because most ofmy miles are hwy miles.

There is nothing wrong with the truck, don't be alarmed. If it bothers you, carry a quart of oil around, at somewhere around the 5000 mile mark, add it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Heminator2
Rookie

My 05 has 24,000 on the last oil change. I will change it at 32,000. I use the Amsoil 0W/30 SSO oil and dual filtration from Amsoil. I went out and checked mine and it is on the full mark. The Hemi I have just does not use oil. Its not the Amsoil, its your truck. Something just ain't right.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two responses with two completely different results. I am confused as JD. Red

Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to mine, I have owned 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. Ran synthetic in all of them when I owned them, changed the oil every 7500 miles (10000 on my ranger) and always burned a little bit of oil in every car.

I don't think of it unless I am under the vehicle and actually find a leak.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

no truck that new should be burning oil, period. that said, it isn't too big a deal if it is only burning a little. a quart over 7500 is considered a little. a quart over 3000, i'd be upset if it doesn't have around 100k miles yet, but considered a little on older vehicles. my old yota 2.2L did a quart over 3k, and it only held 4 quarts, no worries.

but "AT LEAST" 2 quarts over 6k on an 06, i'd be pissed. you still under warranty??

switching from amsoil>mobil 1 doesn't require any special steps. but y?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had some burn a little others not a drop.
My Hemi has been getting oil changes at 3k religiously from day one, the first three years from the dealer (free for 1st 3 yrs/ 36k miles), I'm sure with dino oil. Last two from me (1st Mobil 1 and 3k later with RP) It's never been an iota low on the stick, but I'm going to go 6k with the RP, mainly because it's rated for 12k and also to kinda justify the extra cost. Only been about 600 miles with the RP but I'll monitor it every 1k after it's been in there for 3k.
Jeep GC is on first change since I bought it last Sept., changed the engine & both diffs with RP at about the end of the year. Again I intend to do it every 6k, and at about 4700 miles on this oil it's still right at the top of the stick.
My 98 5.9 Magnum burned a little. It got Mobil 1 religiously every 3k from about 12k on until I traded it in '02 with 67k on it. Was usually just a smidge down (probably less than 1/2 quart) at change time.
My interim truck, an '02 Chevy Z71, always burned oil from day one. About a quart every 1500 miles. Never found a hint of a leak and even did the old rag up the tail pipes trick, but could never find any evidence of leak or burning excess. Had it to the dealer about 3 times (not always for it, but other minor things too, but always had them look into the oil. After the third time, the service manager said "the 5.3's just do that". Never had an oil related problem with the truck, but I traded it in on my '04 Hemi at just 2 yrs. old with 27k on it, so it may have eventually become an issue.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Thanks for the help fellas. Even though i am still confused.

I figure i will change it, and now monitor it every 1k, just to see where it is taking a **** on me at. And add accordingly to keep it in the safe until change time.

The only reason for me to switch to synthetic mobil 1, from Amsoil. Is even though i love amsoil it is a bitch to get around here. I have to order it my self, or get lucky and grab it at napa, 95% ofthe time, they are out, and i get it in a few days, week max.

Everyone and they're mother around here carries 5-20 synth mobil, and ALWAYS has it. That was my only reason.

How ofter are you changing your filters BTW. Everyon i know is runnign 7-10k on oil ,and the same filter. I am using a Napa Gold flter.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JD1500
The only reason for me to switch to synthetic mobil 1, from Amsoil. Is even though i love amsoil it is a bitch to get around here. I have to order it my self, or get lucky and grab it at napa, 95% ofthe time, they are out, and i get it in a few days, week max.

Everyone and they're mother around here carries 5-20 synth mobil, and ALWAYS has it. That was my only reason.

How ofter are you changing your filters BTW. Everyon i know is runnign 7-10k on oil ,and the same filter. I am using a Napa Gold flter.
That's why I chose RP instead of Amsoil when I decided to try a "true 100%" synthetic instead of Mobil 1 for a change. I can pull into Advanced and get the RP, the Amsoil I'd have to order and pay shipping, etc.
I use a Napa gold (wix), Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure-1, although I've wanted to try a K&N and may do so at next change.
As far as changing the filters, I change them at oil change time, used to be 3k, now with the RP it'll be 6k.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil? WTF/ Synthetic Oil Q?