3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
r91488
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fluid ?

Okay I am getting ready to service the Trans what is a good estimate of Fluid that I have to purchase, being that this is my only vehicle I would like to be prepared, what fluid is recomended I have an 04 Quad Hemi I do not know the trans I have, it is a Laramie as well, and it is a 2wd, so a good estimate would be appreciated, also I plan on servicing the Diff is there a quick way to know if I have a posi or not or should I put friction modifier in it anyways? Beside the Trans, Engine, and Diff is there anything else I should do? Not knowing what has been done in the past, I know I should have the brake fluid flushed I will have a mechanic do that I am not the best with brakes, thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
kiggy74
Amateur

I just did my trans on an 05 Hemi Quad 4x4. Needed about 8 qts of fluid. I bought Castrol ATF+4 and used the Mopar filters. I changed both filters at 50,000 even though the manual says the screw on filter only needs changed at 90,000.

You'll need a plastic chisel and plastic brillow pad to clean the old gasket off of the tranny pan. That part took the longest, including cleaning up the mess of tranny fluid I left in my driveway.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

look on the tube of the rear axle, just inside the right side wheel. should have a label wrapped around there tell you if its an open diff or limited slip.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid ?