3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:25 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Look underneath the battery for a loose, deteriorated, or leaking vacuum supply hose at the speed control servo. Battery acid drips on this hose and destroys it.

The Cruise Control uses a Vacuum Reservoir so if the hose is gone, or damaged the system will fail. The reservoir contains a one-way check valve to trap engine vacuum in the reservoir.
When engine vacuum drops, as in climbing a grade while driving, the reservoir supplies the vacuum needed to maintain proper speed contro. The vacuum reservoir cannot be repaired and must be replaced if faulty.
There was a TSB out on this, for 2nd gen Rams, but knowing Chrysler's rep for not solving problems over years and generations (can you say "C-Clip", "Transmission", "Crancked Dash"?) it's a good bet that could be your cruise control problems...
Even with drive-by-wire? I always thought the speed was controlled with the electronic TB..

Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
who ever set the speedo to the rim size is the b***est dumbass. If you have a 2" wheel on a 40" tire your speedo would be off like crazy. Set it to what ever the tire diameter is. Go somewhere else is they can't figure out how big a tire is.
I guess I didn't explain myself good enough. They went to a CERTAIN TIRE SIZE on a 20" rim to match the dia of the tires I had put on the truck. They didn't have the exact size of my tires in their programmer. I can't remember the TIRE SIZE they used, but what ever it was it was a 20" rim size. When they did that my cruise was kicking out at 65 mph. I went back and got them to program it to the largest tire size they had on a 17" rim (which is what's on my truck) my cruise went back to working correctly. I hope that is clear because I wouldn't want anyone to look like a DUMBASS!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

did you change your tire size?? if you did you need to program in the new tire size
I should have read all the posts first we at the dealerships are limited as to very few tire size's to program it's a fed thing

Last edited by eaglestorm; 09-08-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you couldn't find it, you know you can get out there with a tape measure and measure from the ground to the top of the tire, and punch those numbers in.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM
bdasinger88

I called my local dealer and they wanted 89.95 to do it. Do you think a tire store can fix it?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Any other dealerships in your area you can call? That seems kind of high to me. I know you can buy programmers that can do all kinds of other stuff including reset your speedo, but they are high to.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

I think 05 can be set to other with the drb3 it's 06 that uses star scan that you are limited on size I doubt a tire store can do it unless they have a drb3 but when you dont have the scanner you have to pay what the guy with the scanner wants.
you have to know the tire rev's gear ratio and ring size to program odd size I would think .5 shop time is fair thats what I would charge in my shop

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problem