3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking noise from front of lifted truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
HollowPoint40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise from front of lifted truck.

I recently purchased a 2003 QC with a southern comfort package so its lifted with new rims, tires, suspension and all that. Im pretty sure its a three inch lift but they did put new suspension on it, not just lift the body. When i bought it from the dealer it was making sqeaking noises from the front when i hit certain bumps, basically when it hits something that makes it go side to side a little bit. But its pretty loud, not super loud, but its not a faint sound.

The salesman told me it was because they pressure wash them on the lot and it washed off the grease, so i should use marine grease under it. I went under it and found grease fittings and filled them up. The noise is still there two days after and its pretty loud. I WD40'd some parts that sounded like they were sqeaking. Still nothing. Another thing, the left front (which is making the most noise) was very low on grease when i hooked to the fitting. It took almost two tubes to fill it up. The other side was basically full of grease and barely makes the noise, and kind of seems like its going away.

Any ideas? Is this a huge problem? Could the right side have been so low on grease so long it ruined it?

Im trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic but from i hear i dont think that noise is good. This is my first lifted truck so im new and dont really know.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
greg14_00
Professional

i would check your front sway bar link mine made that same noise and pretty much only happened when the truck rocked side to side.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
HollowPoint40

Thats actually what i was looking at and we thought the noise was coming from. Its huge on this truck (the link). What do they cost to replace? Is that what you did?

Edit: After a google search, that tie bar is not what im looking at. The piece im looking at is basically a big Y shaped piece of metal that hooks from the top of the suspension to the wheel, thats where we think the noise is from and where the grease was low.

Last edited by HollowPoint40; 09-05-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
greg14_00
Professional

the piece your looking at is the a-arm. here is the sway bar link. it wasn't an expensive part and it was really easy to replace I did it right in the driveway.

Attached Thumbnails Squeaking noise from front of lifted truck.-0713tr_25_z-2002_dodge_ram-sway_bar_links.jpg  
Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 PM
HollowPoint40

Thanks for your help and picture.

I also notice it makes the noise when i turn. But its more of a popping noise, when i turn the wheel its like something is letting go.

Is it common to have some more noises with a lifted truck?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Every lift I have ever installed has made noise. New unlubed bushings, over tightened nuts and bolts (I always tighten to 1/4 turn before they break), new metal on metal contact, etc...

Now shimmeys, those are not normal. Some part has loosened up, something was put on wrong, something is broken, etc... I will go back under step by step and check every nut, bolt. arm, one by one in accordance with the instructions. There frequently is something you meant to tighten but you ovelooked it as you wee looking for the next step.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM
HollowPoint40

Thanks for the help guys.

As of yesterday the noise is gone. I went under the truck and filled up the grease fittings, but for two days they still made noise, maybe it needed time to get worked in.

I also took it on the highway for a long trip and had no problems, shimmys or anything. Took it in some sugar sand in 4x4 up a hill and had no problems either.

The only thing i notice now is when i turn from a stop (say pulling away from a stop sign going right or something) i sometimes here noises, just like there is a bunch of metal moving around, almost sounds normal for that truck. But the turning is different then a "normal" truck it feels like.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i had the same problem. I will post some pics of what happens when you don't fix it. ONce it broke It was noisier then I took out this piece it was quieter. But It still isn't fixed.

This is once it breaks.

This is the piece I removed.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
HollowPoint40

Great post above.

What is some signs that its worn just from laying under the truck?

It seems pretty obvious but..

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from front of lifted truck.