3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive used regular since i got it (cept for a month or two in the middle) with no ill efects at all. but i have heard some people say their truck doesn't like regular gas.

its not the grade of gas i'm concerned about, and cleaning injectors doesn't mean everything upstream from the injectors is clean either, filter, pump, tank... i'm not saying that's the problem, just saying it could be.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
GirlTruck

Definitely good to know the possibilities! When I call them tomorrow I will throw that out there as well. I kind of feel a bit like my hands are tied since they still have the truck, but at least I feel like I am learning a little more and hopefully will not get quite as screwed!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 PM
GirlTruck

Wait...I just thought of something...Would this all be covered under the 7/70 PT Warranty? That is if I have it? I bought it pre-owned (at 8K) from a Dodge Dealer in 2003, however, I can't find it on my paperwork (of course some of the paperwork is still in the truck at the steelership!). Just wondering if I even should have paid them the $425 I already put into it.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
GirlTruck

OK, so it is Day 3 at the dealership and they just called to say the APP sensor is testing out of range so they have to order that sensor and replace that. Anyone hear of that going bad? That is the first I have heard of this sensor.

The crummy thing is they said they have to "start there" and if that is not right they will order the next sensor and try that one! I asked them if they could just order them all and have them on hand so I don't have to keep waiting 2 days, for them to be ordered. But of course since they are not testing bad they can't just order them. THIS BETTER WORK!!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Not that this has anything to do with your problems but... My 05' 1500 has done exactly what you are describing a couple times a few months ago. Whenever I would hit the gas the engine would bog down and sometimes die or the idle would drop really low and the truck would die, also the cruise control wouldn't work when the code popped up either. The code I kept getting was from one of the spedometer sensors either on the rear diff or on the brakes or something. To fix it though, I had my breaks changed (they were getting really low), and reprogramed the truck using my tuner and I haven't seen the code or experienced the problem since. Now I dont know if it is related to your problem or not but I know for a fact that that was the sensor that kept having the problems on my truck though and the results from the code I got are very very similar to what you are describing now.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
GirlTruck

Yea, that does sound similar, however, my truck had a total break job (all 4 pads and rotors) at 60K when it was in for that check up a few months ago. Unless it happened in reverse...changed breaks, now the problem, but it wasn't throwing codes, so it might not be the same thing, just same symptoms. Thanks for your imput though! I saw the same thing with the breaks on another Throttle Body problem post so you were not alone.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of the sensors are out of range, I would think that the computer would set a code.

It is possible you have a lot of water rolling around the bottom of your tank. Some gas line dehydrator(red bottle only, NOT YELLOW) or Seafoam would take care of that if used over several tanks of gas. 1 pint(can) per fillup would absorb all the water and send it through to be burned.

Another possibility might be that some of the connections at the PCM (computer on the firewall) may be getting corroded and need cleaning. If you decide to mess with this, make sure your battery is disconnected and headlights turned ON to ensure no stored charge remains in the electrical system prior to pulling the connector blocks of the PCM

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by GirlTruck
Yea, that does sound similar, however, my truck had a total break job (all 4 pads and rotors) at 60K when it was in for that check up a few months ago. Unless it happened in reverse...changed breaks, now the problem, but it wasn't throwing codes, so it might not be the same thing, just same symptoms. Thanks for your imput though! I saw the same thing with the breaks on another Throttle Body problem post so you were not alone.
Well you also said that it started around that time too... So if they did the work and "accidently" bumped a wire, or damaged a wire to one of the sensors back there it could be causing the problems. I can also tell you that the code only popped up when I did the key check, my programer never picked up the trouble code when I would check it. I would do one then the other following and the key check worked everytime and the programer never picked up a logged code, dont know why but it just didn't. So if they are using a scanner it may not be reading the code if it was never logged.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
GirlTruck

All great advice! Sounds like I should have posted this thread before I took it to the dealership! Live and learn! I will see if I can get to it at the dealership if the part does not come in tomorrow. That way I can at least check the codes myself (I really hate waiting!!) OH, and get the warranty info!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "APP" is the Accelerator Pedal Position" sensor. They may be on to something.
It's part of the throttle by wire stuff.

Quick Reply: The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!