3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

amsoil universal atf

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
ryland
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amsoil universal atf

I'd loke to hear from people who have used the universal atf in there truck. It says on there site that it's a sutible repacement for atf+4 but I dont know if anyone uses it or if everyone just sticks to the mopar at wally world. Can you notice a difference after changing to amsoil?? It's the universal part that scares me! If it can be all the same for everyone than why dosent someone else make a universal???

Old 09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil makes some good products, but I am not a fan of using any trans fluid other than Mopar. If you had trans trouble and Dodge did a test on the fluid and discovered the fluid you used was not an approved fluid, they could refuse to warranty any repairs... I had a quick lube place call me and ask if using Valvoline ATF was acceptable, I told them it was not a good idea. Long story short, they used the Valvoline, 3 weeks later the vehicle was back in their shop not shifting properly. The vehicle had 25,000 miles on it and still under factory warranty. Dodge would not warranty the trans because a un-approved fluid was used and Valvoline would not help because they said their fluid was not the cause of the problem. The quick lube place had to buy the customer a new trans....

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

I have used Valvoline AFT+4 purchased at Wally World before they began to stock the Mopar product with no issues. One has to wonder anyway who produces the Mopar product because we know Chrysler doesn't make it. Anyway, for my 30K service (done at 41K), I used the Amsoil ATF on the recommendation of my regular service cener. I "felt" an immediate improvement in smoothness and shifting. But to be honest, when you change and upgrade all the fluids, replace the plugs and the front brakes,and so on, it should run better.

It's been 10,000 miles or so and I'm satisified with the performance. For most parts, you normally cannot go wrong by using OEM, but there are exceptions most notably on the Ram is the rotors and rears. When it comes to lubricants, you get as many opinions as people in the room.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
a4twenty
Professional

interesting, the Valvoline ATF+4 says it is officially licenced and Chrysler approved.......

Quick Reply: amsoil universal atf