3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:15 PM
03dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

Hey just wondering if any of you guys have had this problem. About six weeks ago my truck a 03 dodge 1500 2wd 4.7 auto started dying at complete stops had the fuel pressure checked and it was at 47 pounds dealer says it should be at 50 pounds plus or minus 2 pounds. So I changed the pump to a Airtex and about two weeks go by and my truck starts surging right after being started with engine cold or hot, but the truck starts and runs fine. It idles at about 500rpms but when it starts surging it jumps from 500 to a little over a 1000, but it only does this with the truck in park or neutral for a short time. I had it hooked up to a scanner to check things out and every thing was fine, checked the pressure and it was a little low. So I changed the pump again to a Bosch three days ago and as soon as I started it up it started all over again. I changed the pump again to a Delphi Saturday no problems yet. Have been told by dealer it could have been something in the pumps. Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah,i've had that happen to me in my old ford ranger.i replaced the pump like 4 times,and it kept doing that same thing.it turned out to be the fuel pump relay in the main junction box under the hood.i replaced that and had no problems with it again

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know some here will disagree with me, but I have probally seen more Dodge fuel pumps changed out than most everyone here. I have not seen any good aftermarket pumps built for a Dodge. The aftermarket ones just don't last.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
03dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I talked to two different mechanics and they both said it sounded to them like the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Valve) needed to be cleaned or replaced. So I cleaned it Thursday evening and found that it was pretty nasty there was a big chunk of carbon build up inside the throttle body. As of today it has idled perfect.