3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scratched Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
4x4jon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Windshield

Does anyone know how to get small scratches / scuffs out of a windshield?

Its been there since I bought the truck. I think someone had been in the mud, then turned the windshield wipers on and scuffed it up. The scratches arent bad, you cant even feel them when its clean. Its just annoying while driving at night.

I thought about using some fine rubbing compound and a buffer, but since glass is harder than paint, I wasnt sure if it would work.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

I can't really help you. I had a '07 Wrangler, and I had scratches sooo bad in the drivers window, that you could run your nails across it, and they would hang...lol. I never got them out, but now its the Dodge dealers problem, they have it, and I have my new Ram. They never even put the front carpet back in, but I gave it to them, still brand new. I don't see deep scratches coming out, but not sure about small ones, good luck, new glass is expensive.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:24 PM
4x4jon
Rookie

Scratch wasnt really the right word. Its more of a scuff. Its so light that I cant even feel it. During the day its not even noticeable. At night I can see the streaks from it when any kind of light shines throught it.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Jeepis
Rookie

Call a local glass place. They'll probably charge a few bucks, but they have the professional tools and chemicals necessary to properly buff that out. I've seen it down before.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Yea, what he said, take it by a glass shop, 1 that replaces glass, they will know. Yours is kinda like a set of bad wipers, they make a streak, but yours are the ones that don't windex out...lol, a glass shop can probably help you.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try polishing it with toothpaste. You can also buy glass polish online.

My windshield has the same problem and you'll love the cause -- I dared to wipe off dried bird crap with a paper towel and it looks like I used sandpaper.

I've been meaning to polish it out. After all, if bird droppings can scratch it, it can't be too hard to remove.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Timmerduder
Veteran

Detail shops use a std polish and that will work for minor scratches/scuffs....

Quick Reply: Scratched Windshield