3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
khuenefeldt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions

Just sold an 04 grand prix GT, and got a screaming deal on an 06 ram. Shortbed, regular cab, 20" rims, hemi 4x4 w/ 14K miles for $13K. The origional owner meticiously let the dealer take care of everything on the truck. He had just had the 4x4 axle's fluid change a couple months ago. So the truck is in new condition.

I hope someone can answer a few questions i have. The truck feels like it has power, but going from 200 hp to 345 hp, I was expecting the truck to have more power than i know what to do with. I've stepped on it, and got the back wheels to spin a lit, but with the antispin rear end and the 20" rims, it takes a lot to spin the tires. Is that pretty normal?

2nd question.... when i do rev the motor, it seems like it has a long rev cycle, before the rpms start declining. It will rev to 3-4K, then stay there for a second before coming down. I guess i'm use to a small displacement motor that revs quicker. Maybe this is normal too?

I've been looking at exhaust systems for 06+ rams with mds, and i've looked for hours on drone issues. Is there anything i absoultely want to stay away from on mufflers? I want the truck to sound good, but i don't want my wife mad when she's riding. I was looking at the cherry bomb extreme, but those of you that have that....should i leave the silencers on or off, and do you have problems with hearing the mds excessivly.

Thanks for the answers...nice too meet you all...

Kev

Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by khuenefeldt
Just sold an 04 grand prix GT, and got a screaming deal on an 06 ram. Shortbed, regular cab, 20" rims, hemi 4x4 w/ 14K miles for $13K. The origional owner meticiously let the dealer take care of everything on the truck. He had just had the 4x4 axle's fluid change a couple months ago. So the truck is in new condition.

I hope someone can answer a few questions i have. The truck feels like it has power, but going from 200 hp to 345 hp, I was expecting the truck to have more power than i know what to do with. I've stepped on it, and got the back wheels to spin a lit, but with the antispin rear end and the 20" rims, it takes a lot to spin the tires. Is that pretty normal?

2nd question.... when i do rev the motor, it seems like it has a long rev cycle, before the rpms start declining. It will rev to 3-4K, then stay there for a second before coming down. I guess i'm use to a small displacement motor that revs quicker. Maybe this is normal too?

I've been looking at exhaust systems for 06+ rams with mds, and i've looked for hours on drone issues. Is there anything i absoultely want to stay away from on mufflers? I want the truck to sound good, but i don't want my wife mad when she's riding. I was looking at the cherry bomb extreme, but those of you that have that....should i leave the silencers on or off, and do you have problems with hearing the mds excessivly.

Thanks for the answers...nice too meet you all...

Kev
Congratz on the new truck!

Even though it's a RCSB, your truck is still 1,500lbs heavier then your car was...it's all about power to weight ratio. Also the hemi is drive-by-wire and the pcm controlling it can be a **** sometimes. So just because you floor the throttle doesn't always mean you're getting full throttle. A dyno or canned tune can fix that but it'll be $400 plus for either.

A typical pushrod v8's rev cycle is longer than a 4 banger or V6...so that's normal. The heavier valvetrain is the main cause but i'm sure the **** PCM doesn't help with any delay in the throttle blade closing. Just FYI, there's a 4k out of gear rev limiter.

I'd leave the resonators in if you're really worried about any drone...and because you're married . I don't have a CBE but I like my magnaflow si/so...any drone is minimal with the front resonator on.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:42 PM
khuenefeldt
Default exhaust

Thanks for the reply SeVeReDiStOrTiOn...and nice to meet ya

Those with the aero at3030...i'm hoping you will chime in on what's the best setup. Resonator or no Resonator. One or two at 30/30's. I would like to run duals out the back pointing down behind each tire. Thanks all.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick Reply: newbie questions