3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tonneau cover question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
Not true man... There have been lots of tests done for this senerio, I believe they did this test on mythbusters a while back (episode 64), same truck, same road conditions, same amount of gas, same driving style and what they found from doing that test is:

Tailgate up is better than tailgate down. - For the reasons stated above better aerodynamics
No tailgate i better than tailgate up - While it has worse aerodynamics, its alot less weight.
Bed Cover is Equal to if not better than No Tailgate - improved aerodynamics (less drag)
Mesh Tailgate up is better than Bed Cover - Same aerodynamics as tail gate up plus the bonus of the less weight because of the mesh tailgate.
yeah i remember my friends telling me they did something like that on mythbusters i may have gotten the results mixed around or something..i never actually saw that episode though

Old 10-14-2008, 04:11 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default 02 Dakota 2wd crew cab same as a RAM 1500/2500?

I saw that Mythbusters episode... and I love those guys, but I mean, this is truly one of those cases, that "your mileage may vary."

I think the tailgate up/versus down might hold true across the board. The tailgate missing, being better than on/up... meh? maybe? Cover... I think that is a case of the aerodynamics of the truck (or lack thereof). The dakota they used, is certainly more aerodynamic than today's 1500s, and definitely more than my 2500 (a brick with a hemi).

I think it is truly one of those things that you have to try it out yourself, under controlled conditions ON YOUR TRUCK, and find what works. Either way, at best you might get 1mpg out of your tweaks.

Me? I get 12.5mpg calculated, and by computer give or take .5 mpg... Haven't tried cover (don't have one), and haven't tried removing the tailgate. But at 12.5 mpg... um... I am not expecting to get like 30 outta it anyway.

My own 2001 Dakota 4x4, with 4.7 liter... Um... got 19mpg highway, up/down/cover or not... didn't matter.

I put 160,000 of MY OWN MILES on it, driving to work 60 miles one way. Trust me that truck I am sure of... I will post back if I wind up driving this truck more than once in a while to work.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
jkillman
Professional

Yea I heard about that mythbuster show too. That stopped me from riding with my tailgate down lol.

but the reason I said a 20% increase is that most companies that make tonnaeu covers advertise that number. Some more. Sounds too good too be true. And it looks like it is.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Wanderer
Veteran

No noticable gain here, however, I like the clean look.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:08 AM
z3r0
Rookie

they tested with a short bed the better gas myth was for teh long beds
on a diffrent place the guys were saying that they were getting better mileage w/ their long beds

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

aerodynamic improvements
help more and more
as speed goes up

A tonneau typically reduces the drag of the wind
by about 10%
which at typical 65 to 75 mph speeds
gives a MPG gain of about 5 to 6%

If you were to drive 100 mph
the MPG gain might get close to 20%

Here is a 45 mph test of tonneaus at a racetrack
where the 45 mph limit was because the vehicles had no rollbars fitted.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=55785

an independent review of the same test done above

http://dieseltruckworld.tenmagazines...ticle&aid=2835

other tonneau links:

an award winning student project on a 2nd Gen Ram model:

http://web.archive.org/web/200304142...er/Tonneau.htm

Ford engineer says 5% gain with tonneau:

http://web.archive.org/web/200611221..._save_fuel.htm

Past aerodynamic testing has found that most of the gain of a tonneau is because the last 3 feet of the cargo box of the pickup truck near the tailgate is covered. If you don't want a full tonneau and want the MPG gain, cover just this rear section, or buy some plastic boxes with snap on lids that are the right height to come up to the top of the cargo box that you can keep secured near the tailgate. A side benefit of such rear boxes is that in winter you can add weight to them for increased ice/snow traction.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Geed
Rookie

You guys are forgetting another benefit of a tonneau cover - keeping the bed clear. For us guys that live where it snows it sure is a lot easier to brush 8" of snow off from the cover rather than shoveling it out of the bed or pushing it out of the gate. A good load of snow in the bed can be a lot of weight added = lower mileage.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Geed
You guys are forgetting another benefit of a tonneau cover - keeping the bed clear. For us guys that live where it snows it sure is a lot easier to brush 8" of snow off from the cover rather than shoveling it out of the bed or pushing it out of the gate. A good load of snow in the bed can be a lot of weight added = lower mileage.
One of the main reasons I got mine

Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
qsitehemi

In my 2005 1500 QC Hemi 2x4, I can get as high as 21mpg, between 60-70, I have a hard tonneau, not sure if it has alot to do with it as I bought the truck with the tonneau on it, and have never had it off for a comparison.

Quick Reply: tonneau cover question