3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
uspatriot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning throttle body

How do you clean it?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove it and buy TB cleaner. Will be in the same area as the FI cleaners, engine cleaners, oil additives section.

To remove pull off the Hemi hat and the TB is held on by 4 screws. It has a re-useable rubber seal.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Remove it and buy TB cleaner. Will be in the same area as the FI cleaners, engine cleaners, oil additives section.

To remove pull off the Hemi hat and the TB is held on by 4 screws. It has a re-useable rubber seal.

Exactly as described! When I did mine I sprayed the TB with cleaner multiple times , Better to do it multiple times while you have it apart! And if you don't have a CAI then you might as well do it at the same time because it makes cleaning your TB much easier!

Last edited by dodgenitto; 10-15-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgenitto
Exactly as described! When I did mine I sprayed the TB cleaner in, then I started my truck and then did it a second time! Better to do it multiple times! And if you don't have a CAI then you might as well do it at the same time because it makes cleaning your TB much easier!
You're supposed to remove the throttle body..

Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
yea...i didn't do that, she wasn't happy about that. took a couple of long cranks and restarts to settle her down.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Yes I know that! It's not my first rodeo! I turn all my own wrenches, unless it is gears!! I don't do gears!

1. If you are unable to remove the air ducts to expose the throttle body, stop and do not attempt this project. Let a professional Technician handle the job.
  1. Remove just enough air ducting to expose the throttle body. Be careful not to damage any gaskets that may be present. There are many different types of throttle bodies; some even have two throttle blades (one may work with the traction-control system). Some recent models even use an electronic throttle control, sometimes called "drive by wire." With all of these differences, though, you will still likely expose a throttle body very similar in appearance to the one shown here.
  1. If you have not already done so, put on rubber gloves and eye protection. Once the throttle body is exposed, spray the throttle-body cleaner inside the air duct, and use the brushes to gently dislodge the dirt, gum and varnish that are present. Note: Be very careful not to let the thin, plastic spray nozzle (or anything else!) fall into the throttle-body opening. Periodically wipe the residue clean with the paper towels.
  1. Repeat this process until all the interior surfaces are clean to bare metal. Use the flashlight to get a good look at your progress.
  1. Before replacing the throttle-body ducts, put a drop of household general-purpose oil on the shafts of the throttle shaft where it enters the throttle body. Use a small cotton swab, and don't overdo it - just a small drop of oil will help keep the throttle blade rotating smoothly. One drop should be fine.

I wasn't trying to sound like a smart @$$ but this is what I was getting at!

(spray the throttle-body cleaner inside the air duct) reconnect and run truck then repeat! Much easier if you have a CAI!!

Last edited by dodgenitto; 10-15-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: cleaning throttle body