3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing differential fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
uspatriot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing differential fluid

Ive never changed it and have 50,000 miles, should i change it or get a mechanic to change it. Do you feel a difference, and is it hard to do?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You will not feel any difference, but your rear end will last longer. You should be changing every 15K if you follow the maintenance schedule. See the DIY post.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM
johnmichael

Save the funds and DIY...really easy to do, just take your time. Quick steps:

Remove 12 bolts, dump and clean out old liquid. Reapply new RTV gasket, reapply bolts in star pattern. Add in fluid in correct amounts...

Cakewalk. I did it for the first time a few weeks ago, you can do it, bro.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Wanderer
Veteran
Exclamation

Easy, just messy. If you are under warranty, do it now. Chrysler would love to decline a claim due to lack of maintenance.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Jeepis
Rookie

Messy, and diff fluid smells bad. I used to do it, but now I'm getting too old, I just pay to have it done. FWIW, I'm going to have the rear done every 15k, front done every 30k.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
ryland
Rookie

for me I found it difficult to remove the rtv from the cover and housing. I had to do a lot of scrapeing and use a lot of brake cleaning fluid to dissolve the rtv to get it clean. Then I had to repaint the rear cover because the scrubbing and brake cleaning fluid took the paint off. It really wasent hard but for me time consuming. I took it to the dealer to have the front done and that was a whole other story because they just pumped it out instead of takeing the cover off. If you take it somewhere chances are they'll just pump it out. I do notice a difference because when I go in reverce I dont hear that gear whine anymore and just overall feels smoother but maybe its all in my head.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
tafet
Professional

This is just my O2, but wether you do it yourself or take it some where make sure they pull the cover and insp the diff. I don't know what diffs you have installed, but the 9.25 has issues with the clutch pack clips failing. You have the right mileage where issues seem to start. When I pulled mine at 45'ish I had a broken clip.

Quick Reply: changing differential fluid