3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 1500 front axle rating

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
bigbluehorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 1500 front axle rating

i have an 05 1500 bighorn hemi has towing package w/20's but i have the cooper zeon ltz e-rated tires on it to haul my enclosed trailer.
i need anyones opinion on putting a snowplow on my truck.
for some reason the owners manual says not to(airbag sensors? maybe?)
does anyone know if its possible to do so or is the front end too light duty?
if it is strong enough i would like to get a snowplow leveling kit for the front end.
i know i can get the bigger cams for the torsion bars,but i like the timbren kit that mounts to the frame too.
if possible does anyone know how much the FAWR is ?
i have 2 options for plows so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen people say yes you can fit a plow on a 1500 and those that say no.
Some have actually done it using a light weight plow.
The consensus is that the 1500 is "to light duty" to accept a plow.
Bearings and suspension components just not being man enough as a solid front axles would be.
I personally have no experience in the UK of this. It's only what I've read on here and other forums.
Do a search here to find posts about plows.
There are a few.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 AM
greg14_00
Professional

my friend plows my driveway and he has a ram 1500 so it can be down im not exactly sure what he has done to his suspension, or if its a light weight plow or anything ill ask him next time i see him though. I know he hasn't been having problems with his truck yet so thats a good sign.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't have a front axle, you have CV's. Not near the strength of a live axle. But you could probably get away with a light plow...

Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 AM
bigbluehorn

thanks guys the plow i have now is a 8' sno way poly plow.it's supposed to only weighs 450 lbs complete. i was told even at that weight i'd have to beef up the front end.
another question is why do they make and sell direct fit steel blade plows for a 1500 ram if it can't handle it. i know everyone wants their hand in the cookie jar,but is the front suspension worse on the 3rd gen than on the old f-150's that were used to plow for so many years. they were also IFS right?
i got a V blade plow and thought i could beef the front up enough,but i don't really want to ruin my truck.
anyone reading this or know someone looking for a nice VPlow for a 3/4 ton or bigger?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

The pre '97 F150s used that twin I beam IFS. It may have been stronger than CV shafts, I dunno. If you want to load down the front end of a 1/2 ton truck, you will have to buy an old one, like from the 70s or earlier. Back when they were still allowed to build beefy cars. You know, before a run-amok government started forcing them to cut weight to comply with BS CAFE and smog laws.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM
robeeto

I have a 7'6" Boss plow on my 06 1500 QC. The front end sags 1" when the blade is up, so you will want a leveling kit or timbrens. I blew a front stut on mine, dont know if it was from the plow or not, so I replaced them with 2.5" Skyjacker performance struts. So far so good. I LOVE the Boss plow.

Quick Reply: 05 1500 front axle rating