3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
RafAgh88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and exhaust

i have a dodge ram 1500 year 2003 and i want to get headers and exhaust. does anyone have any ideas for what is good and will give it that aggressive sound?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
froto'sride
Professional

I assume that you have a 4.7l? if so then the only thing that you may want to worry about is opening up your exhaust to much unless you plan on forced induction (turbo/supercharger). Try and find headers with the smallest primairy tubes. if you want good sound for cheap leave the stock y pipe and take off from the muffler back leaving that 20" intermideate pipe. however you you want full exhaust then still get small primary tubes on the headers and say 2.5 ypipe into single 3". this will keep the back pressure to maintain lowend power as well as fuel economy. if you want muffelers try it without first and you may be supprised....other than that don't go with flows they tend to make the 4.7s suck gas like it's noone's business!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ra***h88
i have a dodge ram 1500 year 2003 and i want to get headers and exhaust. does anyone have any ideas for what is good and will give it that aggressive sound?
Need more specs, which engine you have would kinda help, plus is it a 4x2 or 4x4?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 PM
RafAgh88
Default my truck

i have the the 5.7L AT 2WD 4 Doors

Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 AM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

ramhammer , we love ya man your always willing to give that advice , no matter what time what day , even off the friends phone , again (besides the point) to be honest headers will not do crap for noise level, and exhaust , if you get the right system , can sound real nice and bad a@@. go with exhaust first , please not the flowmasters , they are quite overated , get something that hammer recommends and for headers , i have the shortys , but if you want more performance get the longtubes. again ask hammer about those.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:03 AM
chefred112
All Star

pacesetter lt's, 3" piping to true duals (gutted cats) to dual cutouts, to 3"di/3.5"so dumped over axle..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgjH02xHII

Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks ramracing, always nice to hear when you are appreciated.

Now I'd do the Pacesetter Long Tubes in a heartbeat. I have them and researched it quite well. You'd have to spend more than twice as much for anything that dyno's much better, even with my custom ceramic coating done locally, I still paid half what the Dynatechs were and they were the only headers that showed any significant performance over the Pacesetters. Don't cheap out, buy the ceramic coated ones (inside & out) or have it done at a good coating shop.
If you have to or want to keep your cats (I did) it's a little tricky with the LT's, but do-able. As far as exhaust, many with 2wd's do the cutout/dumped deal and like it. But if your thinking muffler, I have the Flowmaster 50HD, which sounds great, especially with CAI & headers, but it doesn't perform well. I'm probably going to a Cherry Bomb Vortex when the FM starts to show signs of wear. The Cherry Bomb Extreme might also be worth a look/listen to you. Glasspack sound out of a muffler, will really **** off the neighbors!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-01-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust