3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008 | 05:19 PM
kcdeife
|
Default heater not working properly

I figured out the air intake is not blocked. The fan works but is making a sound as is it where partially blocked. The fan blows hot air and cold air but the amount of air coming out of the vents is alot lower than normal. It was working fine one day and then the next day I am having this problem. One day it worked normal and then the next the problem is back.

How would I fix this?

Old 11-14-2008 | 06:45 PM
sos
All Star

Sounds like many of the stories I've heard around here about the blend door breaking.

Old 12-25-2008 | 11:05 PM
robkellyjr

Did you ever get a reply on this that was worth a sh*t? haha I am having the same issue with my heater AND it ONLY blows on high!

Old 12-26-2008 | 12:12 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

if it only blows on high you might want to check fuses.

Old 12-26-2008 | 03:05 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

nooo if it only blows on high its usually a sign of the blower motor resistor burned up on ya.

Old 12-26-2008 | 06:59 AM
formguy
Rookie

There are two electrical connectors just above where a passengers toes would be. In my truck these have come loose and done just what you describe. Pull them off and put a little di-electric grease in there and put them back on. It seems these loosen up over time and the grease helps it make contact a little better. This is one of the ongoing problems I've had since almost day one. At least it's been easy to band-aid.

Old 12-26-2008 | 11:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
nooo if it only blows on high its usually a sign of the blower motor resistor burned up on ya.
NOOOOOOOO if the blower mototr only operates on high is a sign that your heater controls have gone bad. The resitors in ther have gone bad to restrict the amount of voltage sent to the blower motor. Blower motors arent multi-speed, it's the amount of power that is sent to them, just like the dimming lights in your house. The bulbs aresn't dimmable, but the switch that is, allows them to be dimmed by restricting power flow. The "open" path of the heater controls is High no matter what year make, model. When you cannot turn your know to low, your **** control has burnt out. Needs to be replaced.

However that is not the problem this guy suggested. I would say maybe some mice nested up in the ducts of your airways, or you could have some leafs blocking your fresh air duct. Since you say it's not blockes, you may have some work ahead of you.

Old 01-12-2009 | 06:47 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

wow dog!?? thanks for summing up what a blower motor resistor is. this reply was in response to robkelly. i would say to answer the guys question, sos has the answer

Old 01-12-2009 | 09:36 PM
draco8494
Captain

i have had this prob on a nissan sentra and a chevy silverado, and to my understanding the resistor restricts the power to the motor so like your 1-2-3-4 wont work but 5 will because its directly connected to the battery now if none of them work you switch is bad (the **** part) price range varies WIDELY from vehicle to vehicle such the nissan was $20 bucks for both parts. the silverado was $125 just for the resistor....kinda crappy i think..

Old 01-13-2009 | 12:45 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

bingo! what he said!!

Quick Reply: heater not working properly