3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SUB/AMP Install Question..(power wire)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
bookout27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SUB/AMP Install Question..(power wire)

I have read most of the DIY and other install threads on the forum for installing an amp and subs, as well as have done this a time or two. . I have an 08 QC w/out infinity. I have two 10" JL w3's and will be pushing them with a boss class D 800 watt rms amp. I plan to keep the stock head unit for awhile. (YES I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE BEST SETUP BUT IT WILL BE MINE FOR NOW). My question is if anyone knows what would be an acceptable remote power wire for the amp, with the stereo staying on after the key is out and all. Because its an 08 i can't find a wiring diagram. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
galvatron
Amateur

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

just follow the pages to find your diagrams. full factory wiring diagrams they're all there. it may take a dozen clicks but you'll find what u need.

ps, download a copy of yours when it becomes available, you get the entire bodybuilder book with all the diagrams to have when you need it, they drop model years as time passes and new ones are released.

Last edited by galvatron; 11-17-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
galvatron
Amateur

for all of you who's cough "friends" cough own gm product, kinda invovled to find what you want but it goes way beyond basic wiring diagrams, harness location & routing, pin-outs etc. enjoy
they are huge pdf's 6-700 pages so give them a minute or two b4 you bail on them because they locked up your computer.......

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bbmanuals.htm

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There's 2 places you can tap into for the remote power wire for the amp to kick on/off. You can tap into the 22ga Pink wire with a white trace underneathe the steering column. There's only one. Or you can pop off the radio center bezel(or try to slide out the left a/c power plug). The power plug on the left hand side is the same wire as what's under the steering column.(may be orange with a white trace??There's only 2, a black ground and the colored for power) Both of those tappable wires are controlled by the ignition on.
For the power wire, I have a 1/0guage which is pretty beefy, but I ran mine through the plastic piece on the firewall that has 2 bolts going through the firewall. There's a big hole there and that plastic piece is covering it up. I just pulled it off and drilled a hole into it and bolted it back up. Use a grommet even though it's plastic. That was the easiest and most effieicent way for the power wire. You should be running 4guage for that amp. True 4guage copper strands are as big around as a bic pen. Most cheap 4guages are like 8gage wires and are only thick because of the added pvc outer shield.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtydog
There's 2 places you can tap into for the remote power wire for the amp to kick on/off. You can tap into the 22ga Pink wire with a white trace underneathe the steering column. There's only one. Or you can pop off the radio center bezel(or try to slide out the left a/c power plug). The power plug on the left hand side is the same wire as what's under the steering column.(may be orange with a white trace??There's only 2, a black ground and the colored for power) Both of those tappable wires are controlled by the ignition on.
For the power wire, I have a 1/0guage which is pretty beefy, but I ran mine through the plastic piece on the firewall that has 2 bolts going through the firewall. There's a big hole there and that plastic piece is covering it up. I just pulled it off and drilled a hole into it and bolted it back up. Use a grommet even though it's plastic. That was the easiest and most effieicent way for the power wire. You should be running 4guage for that amp. True 4guage copper strands are as big around as a bic pen. Most cheap 4guages are like 8gage wires and are only thick because of the added pvc outer shield.
big+1

Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea just take a look at the wiring diagrams to be sure but a lot of the newer dodges the wires under the ignition column trigger through resistance basically ground through a such and such ohm resistor. which is gay as hell. so just check that you actually get 12v acc at that wire if not then you know it's resistance.

and check ur cig plugs and power adapter before you tap them i know in both my dad's 06 and my 08 they are a constant 12v supply not switched to acc.

the radio doesn't have an acc power behind it unfortunately for 08's and 07's and 06's it's a canbus data wire that controls the on and off of the radio. that's why the radio stays on with key out until door is opened.

and yea just 4gauge will be fine.
1/0 would be a bit on the overkill side of things lol.

Quick Reply: SUB/AMP Install Question..(power wire)