3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need trailer wiring help, no left turn/brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Muddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need trailer wiring help, no left turn/brake

I'm not getting getting power to the yellow wire that powers the left turn/brake light on my trailer connectors. I've inspected the wire harness from the bumper to the rear axle and the connections seem good. The yellow wire has no voltage on it anywhere I've checked rear of the axle.

My truck tail lights all work normally. They appear to be powered independently of the wires that go to the trailer plugs.

I'm not sure where to look next for the problem. It appears to be up front somewhere. Ideas?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check fuse 48 in the power dist box---feeds left turn relay thats controlled by the front control module of the turns signals from the truck

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Muddy
Thumbs up

BINGO!

Actually on my truck it turned out to be fuse 46. I now have a full compliment of trailer lights and you saved me a trip to an auto electric shop. It just never occured to me that only one side of the trailer lights would be on it's own fuse. Or for that matter that they wouldn't be on the same fuse for the tail lights.

You da man! I owe you one.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Default 7-Way Left Blinker not working

Help!

My brake light works on the 7way left but blinker only shows 10 volts.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Dodge 5172
Default Still no Left turn or brake

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
check fuse 48 in the power dist box---feeds left turn relay thats controlled by the front control module of the turns signals from the truck

I have the exact problem I checked the fuse for the left trailer
tail lights, but that wasn't the problem any other Ideas!!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
bigmac5172

Originally Posted by Dodge 5172
I have the exact problem I checked the fuse for the left trailer
tail lights, but that wasn't the problem any other Ideas!!
Doesn't anyone have any other ideas thanks

Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Ally1988
Default 2003 Dodge 3500 Factory harness

I have same issue after doing all the normal things I took it to my local Dodge Dealer they inform me its my Fuse Box. After a little internet searching I find out it is a common problem wired wrong from either dealer or factory. There is a complaint filed to Dodge cant remember where I found it the complaint that is. They wont $500. to fix there mistake. The trailer and lights work fine on anything else it is hooked up to including the trailer brakes. I am the third owner of the truck not sure how long this problem existed before me. Still luv my hard working truck

Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM
jbird68
Default no fuses in fuse boxes.

I checked the fuses in my fuse boxes. In the spots labeled for L-turn/brake lights there is no fuse. There are actually two places where they should go. In one box there is a place for a 20 amp fuse but nothing is there. In the other fuse box there are two places for relays... Left-T/tow/stop and Right-T/tow/stop. But there is nothing in those locations either. At one time, my trailer lights worked properly without these fuses/relays. I never took them out to any reason. So why now do the left turn and brake lights not work? I've looked for shorts and even unplugged connectors and still can't get them to work.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those relay and fuse locations are probably for the tow package. Are you getting voltage at the rear connector? If so, you may have a poor ground on the trailer.

Quick Reply: Need trailer wiring help, no left turn/brake