3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring back up lights to a switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
BlueRam2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring back up lights to a switch

I do not know very much about wiring in vehicles. I have done some wiring in my house so I have some experience if that counts.

I would like to run backup lights to a switch inside the cab. I do not need to run the lights to the reverse lights on the truck. I just want to be able to flip a switch and turn them on when needed.

Any help explaining this process in as much detail as possible is greatly appreciated. Is this something that a novice should try?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you talking about re-wiring your existing back-up lights to a switch so they will not come on when your backing up? Or are you adding lights to the back of your truck? If you are adding them, it's easy just buy a complete package that includes wiring harnes, relays and switch. Hook up power/ground and run the wires inside the cab.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

If you mess with the wiring for your rear lights beware you could do dammage to the tipm. the tipm montors the amp draw for the rear lights(trailer tow connector) and if you connect up a trailer or add any thing that draws alot of amps( like the trailer has light that draw alot) the tipm shuts off the power to the rear ckt. It will keep cking for the drawit it's still there it will shut down the power to the ckt. Then you need a scan tool to reset the sys you can only reset the tipm 3 or 4 times then It has to be replaced big$$$$

Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

there is a Do It Yourself install of adding fog lights as extra backup lights, You could just do them, on a switch.

Im going to do that, I have the lights already

Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 PM
BlueRam2006

sorry for the confusion. I want to add extra lights as back up lights and mount them under the bumper. and have those wired to a switch.

thanks for the link to the do it yourself I will take a look at it

Quick Reply: Wiring back up lights to a switch