3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What happened to the Dodge Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jankerson
Sounds like yours might have been wreaked maybe.
I was thinking the same thing. All the problems being described don't sound right for a truck with as few miles as it has.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
jayleonard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently also bought an 05, V6 reg cab w/41K miles (private sale) about 5 weeks ago, but I am pretty happy so far. I KNOW it is not anywhere near as tough as the 1991 D250 w/Cummins I sold but it is much quieter, handles much better and is comfy.
I havde the stock 245/70/17 tires on it, actually two never used spares, and two new snows on the rear. I do get a little "shudder" thru the rear end but I'm hoping new shocks will help that.
For what I paid (5900) I am very satisfied so far.
If it makes 100 K I'll be happy

Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by savage018
Hello all,

This is my first post and I would just like to start it off by discussing my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. I bought this truck about 4 months ago and boy was I excited. I know it is an 05 but it was the newest vehicle I had ever owned. I traded in my trusty ole' 97 F-150 w/ 180,xxx miles that still had plenty of life left in her but she was about to require some pretty extensive front end work so I decided to trade up for something newer. Anyway, the truck I bought is a pretty basic truck, 3.7 V6 regular cab w/ crank windows but it had the nice chrome grill and chrome wheels so it didn't look like a basic fleet truck. Anyway, it had just over 37k miles in it and shined like a new penny. Car fax came back clean and showed it to be a one owner vehicle. I paid $8800 for it which I thought was a pretty good deal. Anyway I've drove the truck almost 3k miles and I must say that the excitement is starting to wear off, and fast. What happened to the Dodge Ram? My dad has had so many Rams I don't think I could count them on all my fingers and they were all tough, durable, well put together trucks. His last one was a 2001 Ram 2500 ext cab 4x4 that was tough as nails; that thing would pull a house down. It had well over 100k miles on it when he finally sold it and it was still in good shape.

My truck on the other hand is a different story. First, the driver's side door sounds as if it is about to rattle off its hinges. I have yet to be able to pin-point what the cause is so I guess its gonna have to go to the dealer for that. Accompanied by the door are other squeaks and rattles that in my opinion a 3 year old truck w/ less than 40k miles shouldn't have. I feel every bump in the road with this truck. (Yes I realize it is a truck but this truck is the worst riding truck I have ever been in) Road noise has slowly became worse as time goes by and the truck in general just feels very cheaply put together. I baby this truck as with every vehicle I own i.e. 180k miles F-150, but I am seriously concerned about the shape this truck will be in at 100k miles.

Sorry for the long post guys but I am just kinda disappointed with this truck so far when comparing it to other Dodge trucks that I have had experience with. As aforementioned by father's 2001 was such a nice truck and all the ones he had before it were great. I dunno, maybe I was unlucky and got one of the bad ones. Anyway, anyone else notice that the Rams aren't what they used to be? Thanks for taking the time to read.
I don't think yours was wrecked...mines close to the same way with only 11.6k miles on her and i've owned her since new. She rides like a empty 3500 but she sure looks good doing it . The stiff ride sure helps around turns though with hardly any body roll...not that i'm going fast around turns or anything. With the beating the body takes on regular roads I can tell she's going to have problems later on.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
kincer04hemi

I have an 04 qc 4x4 HEMI and I love it! Its got 30k on it and its quiet,solid,and powerful. I haul alot with it working on the house and yard. Had one ton of stone in it one time other than squattin a bit didnt know it was there. Towed my stepdads crewcab superduty up a 1/2 mile hill when it broke down it pulled that great! I think we've all been driving newer trucks for a while and have gotten used to them. Get in a 1975 smog controlled pickup and see what thats like again,no thanks man, and build quality and rust resistance were nothing compared to now. I had an 85 chevy with a 305 that would barely climb a hill at 55 let alone tow anything.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 PM
usa1974
Default What happened to the Dodge Ram?

Originally Posted by savage018
Hello all,

What happened to the Dodge Ram?

Poor quailty!!!

My truck on the other hand is a different story. First, the driver's side door sounds as if it is about to rattle off its hinges. I have yet to be able to pin-point what the cause is so I guess its gonna have to go to the dealer for that. Accompanied by the door are other squeaks and rattles that in my opinion a 3 year old truck w/ less than 40k miles shouldn't have. I feel every bump in the road with this truck. (Yes I realize it is a truck but this truck is the worst riding truck I have ever been in) Road noise has slowly became worse as time goes by and the truck in general just feels very cheaply put together. I baby this truck as with every vehicle I own i.e. 180k miles F-150, but I am seriously concerned about the shape this truck will be in at 100k miles.

Sorry for the long post guys but I am just kinda disappointed with this truck so far when comparing it to other Dodge trucks that I have had experience with. As aforementioned by father's 2001 was such a nice truck and all the ones he had before it were great. I dunno, maybe I was unlucky and got one of the bad ones. Anyway, anyone else notice that the Rams aren't what they used to be? Thanks for taking the time to read.
My new 08 TRX Hemi has the squeaks and rattles and it's only four months old. I haven't found all of them yet. It also has exhuast vibration noise which the dealer said dodge had to write a software patch to fix. Quality has really gone down hill fast. My 06 ram SXT with the 3.7 was virtually rattle/squeak free......

Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

We really dont ever know what we are buying with used trucks. I got my 04 with 30k miles on her and really thought she was in damn good shape until i had some issues with the steering and front end...but what are you going to do, like the others have said they dont make em like they used to and its a shame.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:22 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

As far as the body goes I agree that the trucks have gone down hill. I drove a 84 Ramcharger 4x4 with a 318 for 15 years. Never really had a problem with it. Now that was a TANK! I took the trunk clean off a 80's model cadilac(not sure if I spelled that right but I'm sure DIRTYDOG will correct me,LOL) and only put a wrinkle in the left front fender! The caddy was taken away on a rollback and I drove home. I wouldn't want to do that in my 05! As far as the engines go, I think they have come a long ways tho, but thats just my opinion and opinions are like ***holes everybody's got one!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:26 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jankerson
Sounds like yours might have been wreaked maybe.
That's highly unlikely. His Carfax would've said if it was wrecked. A vehicle that new, it would've been reported to insurance, or the cops would've been called to the accident. When that happens, it's reported to Carfax.

The one thing that you need to remember when buying a vehicle, there is a reason the owner got rid of it. You got rid of your old one because it was going to need some work. This one may have been gotten rid of because it was a POS. The owner may have noticed the ride, or the vibrations and decided to get rid of it. It's hard to tell why vehicles are really sold.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
What size tires do you have? smaller tires will give you a rougher ride! Also, a reg cab will give you a rougher ride because the wheelbase is so close together.
I don't agree with this at all. My truck rides great even with factory tires. Red

Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
FLphotoguy

Over the years I have purchased 15 new vehicles and I have to say that my 2007 Ram is the best. No rattles, leaks or problems at all. After two years, it is still running fine. My only complaint is poor gas mileage. My Silverado would get 20mpg on the road and the best I have ever done with the Ram (4.7FF Magnum) is 18. The dealers are practically giving away Rams now but trade-in values have plummeted, so there are no bargains to be had. I paid $10k under sticker for mine and they threw in the trailer hitch and gave me KBB value for my Explorer. Sorry to hear about your experiences, but there are a lot of happy Ram owners out here.

Quick Reply: What happened to the Dodge Ram?