3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire rubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM
inxs_use
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rubs

08 2500 QC 4X4 Hemi
I need a few opinions...
I put 2" coil spacers under her and 315 BFG's on 17x9 ProComp 6001's with 4.75" BS and a -6mm offset. When I took it off the blocks, fired it up and cranked the steering wheel, I heard this neat little sound of my diamond tread flap on the passenger side reconfiguring itself. A quick investigation showed the outside of the tire made mincemeat out of the flap but luckily no damage to the fenderwell. I removed what was left of it and took the drivers side one off also.
A trip through the parking lot revealed that full-lock to the right was not a problem but 3/4 of a trip around the steering wheel to the left it was rubbing on a buldge of some sort on the plastic inner fenderwell. I decided I could live with that and it was the end of the story...almost.
Well, it looked like hell to me, the tires sticking wayyy out of the fenderwells(not to mention the rooster tails of road crap soaring over the hood)so I decided it was fender flare time. I bought a set of Bushwacker pockets and slapped them on. This time, before I cranked the wheel(I might be a fool, but I'm a little short of being an idiot with $400 worth of flares at risk)I had my brother in law watching for clearance issues. I cranked it all the way to the right and heard him yelp. I shut if off and went to look. Sure as heck, the outside of the tire made it past the bottom corner lip of the flare but looked like it was going to rip it off on the return trip. Out comes the Dremel and off comes about a 1/2 X 1/2 corner of the bushwacker. Problem solved...almost
At around 5/8 of the way around to the left, my bro in law made that same, annoying yelping sound. That dang outside of the tire was barely, I'm talking barely, rubbing the flare. We looked at it for a little while and pondered the options. I glanced over at the bench and spied a nice, shiny new hammer. This might just work I thought....the next time he yelps, I'll give him something to yelp about. He must have seen me grab it and hide it behind my back because for the first time since my Sis starting dating him, he got an intelligent look on his face. "Remember those cheap-azz adjustable coil spacers we jacked our 70's cars rear-ends up with? I saw them the other day at the parts store." I thought "Hmmm, he might just have something there."I put the hammer back on the bench and off we go.
We got back and it was install time. I know these things are pretty unreliable and I did/do worry about safety...but the $'s for the flares worry me too. The install was simple, no problems at all. I took measurements before we did anything and sure as heck, that drivers side well was a 3/16" lower than the passengers. We cranked them up...3/8" on the passengers, 1/2" on the drivers. Got the roll of galvanized acoustical ceiling tie wire out and tied top and bottom of them to the coil...Viola, problem solved!
Here's the opinion time. I know this isn't safe, don't tell me what I know please. What I would like to know is it money well spent to toss the 2" leveling kit and get the 2 1/2" one or are wheel spacers the answer? I know the 1/2" on the coil spring works but it has to mean longer shocks, another alignment, looks higher......I want safe, I want cheap, and I want a quieter brother in law.

Quick Reply: Tire rubs