3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

aftermarket headlight housings

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default aftermarket headlight housings

Has anyone had any problems with flickering with the aftermarket dual Halo headlight housings? They have the halo rings and led light inside them which draws more power than stock. It's not much power since those are both very conservative lights as far as power consumption, but I know the ecu detects how much power the lights draw and can flicker as the HID lights tend do.
I want HID's but don't want to put them in the factory housings because of scatter effect. i want a clean look, but I canot spend the money right now for everything, so I will be using the housings just for now. Also, what brand is better. I know it's you get what you pay for usually with these aftermarket headlights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
gwallis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what your talking about is your computer is sensing that there is no bulbs connected and flickers? There is a solution for that, its called an HID problem eliminator... it gives the computer the signal its looking for so it stops acting up.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CCFL's in the halo as well as the LEDs in the housing are powered by the parking light circuit. There's no change in the load on the headlight circuit.

Once you go HIDs you'll have to address that as gwallis said but it won't be related to the extra lights inside the housing. HIDs flicker because they draw less power than the stock bulbs.

I'm doing the same thing soon - as soon as I pick out which of the aftermarket housings looks the most reliable.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks John
Parking lights are tapped!!!
I know about the need for the Cancellor kit for the HID's.

I will let you know if I find out which headlamps are better than others...quality wise after I do some research.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: aftermarket headlight housings