3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bumper/Brush bars and air bags

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:19 AM
caliboy@heart
|
Veteran
Default Bumper/Brush bars and air bags

I was looking at getting one of these put on my truch but I heard that it affects the air bag system on the truck as far as when it deploys. People have said that it will not deploy when it should because the sensors are now behind a big steal bar. Is this true?

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:38 AM
nim81
Record Breaker

i think if your going to hit somthing hard enough to deploy the air bags that little bar isnt gunna do much but smash through the front of your grill and bumper, theyre not as strong as one might think.

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:54 AM
meridian
Professional

Originally Posted by caliboy@heart
I was looking at getting one of these put on my truch but I heard that it affects the air bag system on the truck as far as when it deploys. People have said that it will not deploy when it should because the sensors are now behind a big steal bar. Is this true?
YES! Tread carefully on this one as it can affect the airbag system! Most airbag systems now come with two explosive charges. One for low speed impacts and one for high speed! Or as the emergency services have been known to say ' One charge to save your skin and one charge to kill the poor bastard trying to pull you out of the wreck! Bull bars and non stock bumpers / spoilers can affect or negate the timing of these two charges. After all what is the point of saving your front end only to become a veggie after head butting the steering wheel!

Quick Reply: Bumper/Brush bars and air bags