3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear brake rotor problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
seapup0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake rotor problem

I desperatly need some help on removing the rear rotors on an 03 ram quad 4x4. I have been prying and beating on the rotor all day and it wont budge. The front ones came loose with a couple of hammer whacks. I read somewhere else that if the e brake is stuck in the on position that can keep it from coming off. Can anyone give me more info on that. I have demolished the rotor so I can't put it back together without getting the new rotor on. I need to get this truck back on the road. HELP!!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i had the same problem i just kept prying from both sides and whacking it and it eventually came out

Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe post up a pic of what you have going on so we can see if there is anything that looks out of whack.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 PM
seapup0

don't have pics but everything looks ok. I believe the rotor is not rusted on as when i pry on it i can see slight movement of the rotor surface down to the hub. I also tried a propane torch to heat it up to no avail. Is the emergency brake thing possible? To dark out now to try anything but I'll be back on it in the morning. Hoping I have some ideas by then.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 PM
meridian
Professional

Sounds like the parking brake has worn a groove into the rotor and is preventing it from being removed! Please don't use heat near brakes or you might find yourself without any brakes when you most need them!!! cooking brake parts is never a good idea! Try removing the parking brake cable in case it's siezed and try to get a screw driver or pry bar in there to pull the shoes away from the rotor. I'm hoping Rams have the type of parking brake inside the rotors if it doesn't ignore everything I have just said apart from the setting your brakes on fire thing!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
seapup0

lol thanks for the heads up on fire but all brake parts are away from the rotor. The brake thing is whats holding it up i think. There is an inspection plug on the backing plate I will look into that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: rear brake rotor problem