3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP with Ball Joints and Tie-rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 PM
ut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP with Ball Joints and Tie-rods

03 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD w/ 76,000 miles.

Replacing the upper and lower ball joints. Should I replace the outer tie-rod ends also with this amount of miles?

Service manual says to use "special tool 8677" to separate the upper and lower ball joints and outer tie-rod. Looks like that tool pulls without destroying the rubber boots. None of the loaner tool kits have anything close to it. Should I look for this special tool, or what else works well to separate the tie rod and upper ball joint? Fork style separator?

For the lower ball joint I have the press.

Never done this before so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
ut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard Moog balljoints were way better than stockers. Your gonna have to get an alignment anyways with the balljoint replacement so why not change the tie rods now for added protection, just don't buy your stuff from local autozone. Get some good quality ones. Also make sure you get ones with greasable fittings!

Quick Reply: HELP with Ball Joints and Tie-rods