3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

wiper problem

Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 AM
bloodySUNDAY134
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper problem

need your help people. about a month or so ago i was taking my 08 ram hunting and it was raining out. it was about 40 degrees out and i go to put on the wipers....nothing. the wipers didn't work at all. i then get to my hunting destination and go hunt, i came back to the truck, it's still raining out, i throw on the wipers, they work fine. i then get home and the temp has dropped. i go to use the wipers again and again, nothing. seeing that i just bought the rig about 5 months ago, i take to the dealership. on the way to the dealership it was snowing, well sorta, but all of the road spray was getting on the windshield. the wipers of course were not working. the dealership put in an entirely new actuator transmission or whatever in and the wipers work fine. the day after it was cold out, probably like 30 or so degrees out. the wipers don't work. anyway, they've been doing this for a while now and it seems to be on days that are cold. has anyone had this problem as well? the dealerships i have brought it to say there is nothing that they can find wrong.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do they work after you've been driving for a while and everything has warmed up? Maybe it's the switch in the cab?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i actually had that problem back in the spring through late summer. i had to replace my wipers cause i failed inspection for them and never had the problem afterword. its actually a pretty dangerous problem. let us know how you make out.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
i actually had that problem back in the spring through late summer. i had to replace my wipers cause i failed inspection for them and never had the problem afterword. its actually a pretty dangerous problem. let us know how you make out.
Just tie a piece of string to the passenger wiperblade and run that into the cab, then tie a piece of string to the driverside wiper blade and run that ito the cab and then tie those together. Grab a hold and start yanking back and forth while you drive or bring somoeone with you so they can run the wipers. That should about fix your problem......LMFAO!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok---I got experience here-----They have already replaced the wiper motor and end switch setup---what they probably didn't check, was the relays in the power dist box under the hood, there is two of them, and you need to replace both---not just one.
They are interdependent on each other for the wipers to work right. I had problems with mine, and that what it was. The relays can be had at Autozone for about $20 each----a total ripoff, considering they prob only cost a dollar to make. You might also try exchanging them with another in the dist box as all the relays are the same.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 AM
70_challenger
Unhappy Had the same problem...

Actually, I just had the problem this past weekend. The wipers quit working on my brand new 2008 1500 QC (4 weeks old, about 800 miles on the odometer).

On Friday night, the wipers were really slow (about 20 seconds to wipe across the window) and then they stopped in the 'up' position. I hit the switch 10 or 12 times, and they slowly returned to the park position. On Sunday, they quit altogether - They would not budge, no matter what. (Nice in the snowy weather, with salt on the roads).

I took it to the dealer today. They diagnosed a bad wiper motor, but explained that there is a huge backorder for wiper motors. Sounds to me like a known problem for 2008.

Interestingly enough, while the truck was inside the (very warm) dealer shop area, the wipers started working. I wonder if the failure is related to cold weather?

Good luck!

-Tom

Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 PM
tcflint
Default Yep!

Sign me up too

I have the same deal. I took mine in and they are to replace the motor, but they are OOS. Now I know why!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

mine have done this before too. i just havent taken the Ram in yet.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not just a problem for 08....my 04 had this problem and my 05 has it now....fixed it in my 04 by replacing the switch (been over a yr since i did that, work fine now)....haven't gotten around to doin it in the 05 yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiper problem