3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 2003 4WD noise odor not disenganging

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
landwild
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 2003 4WD noise odor not disenganging

I have an odd problem and BAD TIMING! Our 2003 4WD Ram is the only vehicle we have, and we will need it soon to travel home for the holidays. Also, we are on a VERY tight budget therefore cannot afford to take to a service station. I consider myself mechanical but know nothing about 4wd!

The circumstances leading up to the problem: last week I engaged 4wd H for the first time this year. Worked/works well. After driving a while, I did start to hear a noise. I did not exceed 40MPH and did not drive in 4wd for more than about 10 minutes.

I also noticed it pulling side to side at times (both sides at different times!) - After disengaging, I now have a gear noise that sounds as if it is in the middle of the vehicle. It is NOT constant, but occurs mostly when accelerating beyond 30mph (when 4wd is now off). I have tested by engaging 4wd several times, and no difference. When in 4wd it does change some of the qualities of the sound. 4wd still works and the light operates when engaged. The sound gets louder when I reach 50mph and sounds horrible!! I could only guess/describe as the front shaft/hubs/gears not fully disengaging or pulling out of the hub when I pull the 4wd into 2wd.

Now, just after I disengage, it is VERY SLUGGISH to disengage and may stay in 4wd on one side for a few minutes. There is a very weird odor (best described as a natural gas like smell)... not oil/brake or rubber smell.

Where should I start? If it is an actuator switch, I think I could easily replace this.. or if differential, this may take more studying before I proceed.

I am desperate for help. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by landwild; 12-10-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck it sounds like it could be pretty serious isuue tho i would take it in if at all possible

Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a manual transfer lever or the electronic 4x4 hi/low switch on the dash?
Iit's electrical, it could be a solenoid burning out?
Al.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you ever replaced the lubricant in the transfer case? Might be the place to start...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Have you ever replaced the lubricant in the transfer case? Might be the place to start...
thats what i was thinking. check the lubricant level. they're really easy to drain/refill.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM
sos
All Star

Where were you driving with 4wd? Was it just around town on dry roads? If so, you might have done some damage.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
landwild

I will do a replace of the lube today. Again, my ignorance has gotten me in trouble here, and since I am new to 4x4- I now realize that there are some fluid levels I need to check!! Is it critical to use Mopar brand fluid, or can I just use standard transmission fluid?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

doesn't have to be mopar. any good ATF will work (mobil1, amsoil, royal purple, etc..)

Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
landwild

one step close (hopefully not two steps farther!) -

I replaced the transfer case fluid here a few hours back. The fluid was ALL present (about 1.5 liter as a guess as it indicates is needed) and it looks good as well! Pinkish in tone. Regardless, probably did not hurt doing that.

Next, I drove, and listened... Still there! The sound is present, and it sounds bad!! I have isolated the sound to be somewhere between the Front differential and the transfer case.

Therefore, here are a few more clues to help diagnose. - I put in 4wd H to see if anything changes.. It works fine, but sound does not change when in 4wd. After removing from 4WD, the light goes off immediately! but the wheels are sluggish to remove from 4WD. It takes about 1 minute for it to fully (maybe it never is fully out!!! and that is the problem) from 4wd.

I just feel that the problem is related to 4wd since it all started when I first used 4wd a week ago for this first time this year.

Should I focus next on the front differential? What should I do there? pull the front basket off, inspect and report here? followed up with replacing fluid?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Sloooow
Amateur

Originally Posted by landwild
I also noticed it pulling side to side at times (both sides at different times!) - After disengaging,
I had this a cuple times because it didnt disengage correctly and i put it in revers for about 15 feet and back in drive and the pulling to the side went away.

when you hear the noise do you feal a strong vibrating?

I had a thred a loooong time ago with an issue I had and never got around to posting to what it turned out to be. It sounds alot like what i had when my front drive shaft died on me. When they took it off they saw the rubber boot was riped to shreds.

the odor you smell is probly cooked diff fluid from the 4x4 not getting disengaged fully. Iv been there to. if you only smell it when your in 4wd its your front diff fluid.

this is just my 2 cents ( drunk 2 cents )

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2003 4WD noise odor not disenganging