3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Hemi 1500 rear diff exploded????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
My Blue 05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay just to be clear here, there are not really any known issues with the front diff as its not a LSD correct? So If I were to replace the rear and leave the front (matching ratio) I should have the issue under control? I LOVE THIS truck and plan on driving it into the ground so I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing here. Thanks again for all the input! You guys rock!

~G

Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

Originally Posted by abarmby
The rear and front diff service interval is 15K not 30K.
Al.
Agreed.....

What if you're using Synthetic gear lube?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

Originally Posted by My Blue 05
Are there any reasonable options to correcting the issue?
Gregg
Yes.... the dealer replaces all the LSD retaining clips with a new, redesigned (Heavier) clip.

What happens with the old clips, is they break, get dislodged in their fitment, then start to swing outward, scraping the inside of the housing. The metal-on-metal creates a metal slurry that ruins your bearings. In extreme cases, the housing will need replacing along with all internals.

I was lucky enough to just need new clips. They showed me one that was a total grenade job......

Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went out on my truck AFTER I had 4.56's installed... This was long before there was an "AWARENESS" of the all too common Clutch pack retaining clip issue. This issue is very common in the REAR 9.25 LSD carrier.

Its too bad you even get stuck with the $100.00 deductible... that's CRAP and it should be covered for free since its a COMMON PROBLEM!

The best option is to go out and replace the factory LSD with an Aftermarket Auburn or Detroit True trac. Both are great carriers with the DTT being the better one... but they are both great. The DTT is about 100 bucks more then the Auburn... if you can afford it great get the DTT if not then sleep well with the Auburn.

I have the Detroit true Track with Motive 4.56's... Hands down the single best mod I have done to the truck.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: 2005 Hemi 1500 rear diff exploded????