3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 odd noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
rbrumm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 odd noise

Was out on the ice yesterday and had the truck in 4 wheel drive. When I turned right or left it sounded like a tire was rubbing on a mud flap. I know I do not have that problem and the gear oil is full. (I will be changing it soon though). Anyone have any thooughts? This is the first time I have heard the noise. Could I have done something when the wheel bearing housings were replaced. No noise in 2 wheel or going straight.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

Was it a very sharp 90 degree turn and/or a turn onto a drier road?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

not 90 degree, not dry pavement and only noticed it at 5mph or less??

Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

In four drive, the tires spin at the same speed in a straight line. But when you turn, the tires in the back spin at the same speed but the tires in the front dont spin all the way over causing the tires to slip a little. I think they usually slip in the back but I'm not exact on that. The inside turning tire has to spin less than the outside turning tire in order to make a u turn. Thats about the best I can describe this. Hammer can probably do better though.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

it's physics really, when you do a u turn the front tires don't complete a revolution in the same time or distance that they would if they were straight..therefore the back tires just follow where the front tires guide them to go so the back tires still complete a revolution at their normal speed depending on how fast you are going. I have had that problem before too because the back tires can't rotate as slow as the front when you do a turn (depending on how sharp the turn is too).

Quick Reply: 4x4 odd noise