3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

service 4x4 light

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
randymorgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service 4x4 light

Hi, I'm new to this forum and not a dealer or mechanic and Ihave a problem with my 2003 dodge ram 1500 laramie I hope someone could help me resolve.

I went to switch from 4h to 4l and the selector switch flashed a couple of times then went dead. The rear differential went into 4l but I have no steady light on the switch telling me what gear it is in. That is when my "service 4x4" light came on. Ichecked the fuse to the 4x4 and that is good and disconnected the battery trying to reset switch to no avail.

Not wanting to screw up transmission (like I said I'm not a mechanic) I took it to a dealer They put it on a computer and said it come back with no faults. But my light stayed on. They traced it back and told me that I need a power distribution centre (fue box) and a mode switch.

I have the service manual downloaded and can't find a mode switch.

My question is, What could keeping me from getting any lights on my selector switch? I'm basically looking for some conformation.
I did check wires through fuse box and throgh 25amp fuse and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong there so I'm wondering if they were just guessing at what is wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Randy

Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure they meant Mode switch as in the actual switch that reads what gears you are in went bad. It's a little switch like the back-up switch that switches your back-up lights on.
I bet your 4wd works fine and it's just the switch that controls the actual read-out.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

I had a similar problem not too long ago, turned out all it was was a loose wire to the transfer case that had worn out. Might be worth a shot?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
randymorgan

thanks for the reply!
The dealer priced the mode switch it was $357. That seems way to high for aswitch. The motor that drives the transfer case is the same price.
Is there a quick way to check to see if that motor works and what is the voltage needed to drive the motor.
What drives power to the selector switch on the dash?
I also checked the wires underneath and they appear to be intact and not corroded.
What would stop the selector switch from not telling me what range its in?
Thanks Randy

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM
randymorgan

anybody have any idea?

I found the problem. Itook the fuse box apart. Separated all the parts and found that the circuit board had corroded on top and bottom of board. soldered a wire across the corroded points.
Put fuse box back together put battery cables back on and turned on key to the on position and my selector switch lights are back on.
Also there was nothing else wrong with any more switches or sensors.
My 4x4 is working fine now
Thanks, Randy

Last edited by randymorgan; 01-07-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 AM
scotee

Same problem with mine.

The wire harness connected to the transfer case was hanging down and sitting on the driveshaft which wore through the wires. I fixed the 3 wires that were broken, and all is working great now.
Thought you might want to know.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 PM
abel

ive got a 2002 dodge ram1500 4x4 batery went dead several times cause i dont drive it much,now service transfer case light on. and 4x4 selector not working. cheched all fuses.even transfer case module fuse.all are good . bullitin said replace selector switch.same problem.any got code in instament panel for no comunication.

Last edited by abel; 01-06-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: service 4x4 light