3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

give me few pointers on changing brakes ram 04

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 AM
morozovsv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post give me few pointers on changing brakes ram 04

HI
Im planning to change my front break pads and maybe rotors(if they bad).
can u give few pointers on whats is most important. dont want to screw it up big time and spend lots of money to fix my mistake.
i know its not to hard and i did it few years back but on my nissan sentra.
thank you

Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 AM
irelandshemi
All Star

just take off the rim, two bolts holding on the caliper (or how ever its spelled) the pads just pop out and then if you change the rotor, take off the bracket for the caliper that's held on by two more bolts, make sure to put on the anti noise whatnot on the pads i think thats pretty much how it goes make sure to prop the caliper up on something and not just let it hang when you take it off, o and your prolly gunna have to compress the pistons so the new pads will fit but thats not that hard i probably missed something but im sure someone will chime in

Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you re-grease the two caliper slider bolts in the rubber boots on all the calipers and thoroughly clean off the entire brake/rotor assy, from dust and grime etc.
This will help to keep your pads fully "floating" and stop "dragging" etc.
Also when cleaning, make sure you don't nip or damage the piston rubber boots when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. Use one of your old pads with a "G" clamp to push them back.
Lube up all your bolts and the back of your pads with an anti-sieze compound such as copper slip and that should be it.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
morozovsv
Thumbs up thank you

thanks for your advices.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Put Anti-seize on the caliper bolts when you put them back in. Grease the slides with caliper high temp grease and use the old pad that sits against the pistons to compress the pistons back in. Use a C-clamp for that. No fluid is needed and you don't need to bleed the lines. If the rotors don't pulsate or have any apparent grooves, you can slap the new pads on. If there are noticeable grooves, your pads will wear out faster than normal.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

life saving every day

Quick Reply: give me few pointers on changing brakes ram 04