3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 1500 QC Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
ProPerDoper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 1500 QC Suspension Upgrades

I recently installed Belltech 1.25" rear drop shackles, and 4 Bilstein shocks on my 2WD QC. Handling and ride are both greatly improved. The rear drop settled the rear tires down considerably, and the Bilsteins did the same all around. The truck rides much smoother on highway pavement, and corners much flatter.

I'm about to spring for a # 7651 Hellwig rear sway bar kit. Best $ seems to be neverenoughauto via eBay for $220 delivered.

Questions: Anyone know if the sway bar will clear the 20" rear spare once installed given the Belltech 1.25" drop shackle installation?

Anyone know of a better price available on the sway bar?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM
MeAndMyHemi
Rookie

How much of a pain was installing the drop shackles?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics??????????????

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM
ProPerDoper

Drop shackles were pretty easy to install. Just get the rear wheels off the ground by using a good floor jack under a drop receiver hitch. Use jack stands to support the truck once it's in the air. Really very easy.

I went with Belltech as I read other brands that had problems with a 2" drop shackle causing the spring to bang against the bed of the truck. The drop is admittedly minor, but enough to level out the truck fairly well. (Maybe a minor rake present still, but I'm good with the results)

Billsteins are incredible. Can't say enough about the improvement both mods provided, and looking forward to adding the rear sway bar.

BTW.... neverenoughauto came back and advised that the Hellwig sway bar will clear the 20" spare with no problems on that minor a drop.

Last edited by ProPerDoper; 01-25-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM
ProPerDoper
Default Sway Bar Installed - Well Worth the Effort!

Installed the Hellwig swaybar tonight, and the effect is HUGE!

Took about 2 1/2 hours do do by myself on the garage floor. Having a helping hand would make things much easier, but not a bad install project.

The results are phenomenal. This product is truly effective at eliminating body roll, and the truck corners incredibly flat. No ill effects in ride noticed.

Next step is Energy Suspension sway bar bushings up front.

After the Belltech drop in the rear, Bilsteins all around, and now the rear sway bar, it handles much much better than it did when I drove it off the showroom floor.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 AM
ProPerDoper
Default Help! Energy Suspension Universal, or Stock?

I installed a set of 33 mm Energy Suspension universal sway bar bushings on the factory front sway bar last weekend. I noticed that not only was the bushing substantially smaller in thickness and overall size, but so was the u-clamp which holds it to the bar/frame.

I called Energy, and got no real answers.

Question for anyone who has experience and/or and opinion:

Am I better off with the stock sway bar bushing set up, or the Energy Universal bushing set up? I noticed no real difference in handling after installing the Energy bushings.

My concern is the smaller dimensions in the Energy set up. It seems the u-clamp on the Energy bushings is much more prone to deflection. Energy says the only function of this bracket is to hold a centerline on the sway bar itself, and since the Polyurethane is of higher durometer (stiffer) this will aid in the process over the factory set up. However, the bushing and bracket are both much smaller dimensionally, and I'm struggling to know which is best between the two, especially when I tow.

I questioned them about the 2005 setup, which they have made, and it turns out that they've made a bushing specifically to fit into the factory u-clamp on that model.

Anyone with experience or an opinion? I sure could use some help!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 06 1500 QC Suspension Upgrades