3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sometimes you just gotta say what the hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
holy shiat!! i can't wait to see how this turns out. that truck is gonna be killer! I don't know about the body lift and 37's though...but we'll see.
Yeah I know, I still stand by the 35's are the max for an IFS truck, but hell, I can replace all the front end components myself if they fail. I'm not too concerned with premature component failure because I only put about 6k miles a year on the truck now and if I do have an issue, the Grand Cherokee is my daily driver, so the truck can be down for a few days without a major inconvenience. So like the title of the thread says: "What the hell"...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 AM
formguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep me in mind in April for the FCIIs. I might try some of that "summer" tread this year.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by formguy
Keep me in mind in April for the FCIIs. I might try some of that "summer" tread this year.
I got one guy I kinda promised 1st dibs, but if he ends up not taking them (that bums outta work now too), they'll get posted on here, trust me. The tires I'm looking at in 37x13.5x17 are gonna run me in the $400 per range. But hell, I guess that's just what high end, big tires go for anymore. These 35" FCIIs were almost $300 each, new. I'll need to unload these to put the money toward those.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 AM
formguy
Rookie

I hear you with the "out of work" thing. Thank God I have a plow route. I just sent out $2800 in plow bills for January. I can't wait for spring. I've only done two foundations since Christmas. I usually run mudders all year, but I'm getting old and may want to hear myself think while driving.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an ambitious project. Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Teach, the cam, and go withs are not expensive at all, even with the custom grind, the Cam is $350. By doing the very stout Mopar 6.1 SRT8 springs at under $4 each, retainers at like $1 each and push rods at like 70 cents each. So for all the hardware I'll have $100 using the SRT8 stuff as opposed to about $350 in a set of Comp Beehives and hardware.

The 6.1 SRT 8 is certainly beefy enough for this cam.

It's really the $600 for the tuner and then paying for custom tunes that jacks it up.

But a Cam such as the Comp 260 gives nice HP & Torque gains and can run with just the Superchips or Diablo tuners...

The biggie here is saving the $800 quoted labor price...

As far as a price for the tires, let me think about it and I'll let y'all know, but remember, I have a little health issue and am dealing with a bigger family health issue right now, it could be 3 months before I have the lift on and these tires off. Not that they'll be any more worn, I average less than 6k miles a year on the truck. It's just you'll have to wait till probaby April'ish for the tires...
Where did you get the springs, retainers and push rods? Those are some good prices.

Make sure you post up a DIY after you install the cam. If/When I put one in my truck I want to try to install it myself. I have read some instruction manuals on how to do it but I would like to see a first person account of how to get it all back together and running properly.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Where did you get the springs, retainers and push rods? Those are some good prices.

Make sure you post up a DIY after you install the cam. If/When I put one in my truck I want to try to install it myself. I have read some instruction manuals on how to do it but I would like to see a first person account of how to get it all back together and running properly.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/engi...arch&mode=mmyt

But I'll be honest with you, stopped at the dealer's parts counter yesterday, they were not much higher than this place online.

I'll do a complete DIY, trust me. Is gonna be probably the first part of April before I can do this, but there will be pics...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm trying to stay within terms of Lifetime Warranty as long as possible. It means less spent in the long run? Or maybe Over indulgence will develop??? I know it's an inevitable burning desire and will happen in the future, at which point, I'm unsure...haha
My mustang has been the attn. *****. If i get rid of it, all that playing time will have to get switched over to the truck of course. No vehicle can be in my garage without a steady paycheck coming in...lmao Hell, I must have $15k minimum in that car alone. Imagine what could get accomplished with a truck and that money!.???hmmm..???..lol

Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Nice. You won't think back once you are sitting on 37's

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

It is about time Hammer!!!! lol did all my questions about running 37's/38's make you want to run 37's now? That is going to be one sick truck. What tires are you thinking about running? With only 6k a year I believe that I might be smelling 37x13.5x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw radials being mounted on that beast. either way good luck with what you do. 4'' rancho w/ 3in PA BL is by far the way to go. This is going to be intense. Clearly next years TOTY.

Quick Reply: Sometimes you just gotta say what the hell