3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

msd box ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
tjt603
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd box ?

will a msd box give me better gas milage ? yes i know my hemi sucks when it comes to gas milage but what can i do to help it out ? and dont say buy a new car becasue i cant right now. I dont have a heavy foot either.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tjt603
will a msd box give me better gas milage ? yes i know my hemi sucks when it comes to gas milage but what can i do to help it out ? and dont say buy a new car becasue i cant right now. I dont have a heavy foot either.
What do you mean? The newer trucks come with MDS which is a ecu program that shuts down 4cylinders? Most people turn that off and get better mileage through a hand held tuner.
If you mean MSD like "ignition box" well, your confused. Nothing aftermarket can change your mpg's, well nothing drastic anyways.
You own a 5,000=+lb truck with 8cylinders. You should buy a compact car for mpg's if you are really worried about it. I paid $500 for a stratus a year ago. I get 33mpg's. It paid for itself in under 2months. So in reality it didn't cost me a penny. Incorporating insurance, gas, initial cost, I made my money back that fast. So when you say that you don't have the money, you really do...???

Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tjt603
Msd doesn't sell an ignition box for our hemi rams...they sell the coils though. Those ignition boxes are usually for vehicles with a distributor.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

full tune up, switch to ALL synthetics, properly inflated tires. Also get it breathing a little better with a CAI and higher flow cat back and possibly a Superchips tuner now that they have that canned "Mileage XS" tune & an e-fan in place of that parasitic clutch fan are your best options.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
full tune up, switch to ALL synthetics, properly inflated tires. Also get it breathing a little better with a CAI and higher flow cat back and possibly a Superchips tuner now that they have that canned "Mileage XS" tune & an e-fan in place of that parasitic clutch fan are your best options.

what do you mean by all synthetics? i was thinking of getting synthetic oil next oil change but what else should i do? what kind of oil btw?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
sos
All Star

There are other fluids - transfer case, front and rear differentials (if 4x4)