3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SLT front bumper valance: AKA Black thingy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys serious? Get on your back crawl under the engine the push on the cheap plastic thing that does nothing off with your foot. Comes right off..."how did you get to those two hard to get bolts?" lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamNSX
HEMIGUY!!! GO STAMPS!! lol You're not originally from Alberta though...are you??? I mean afterall there are like six of us here in this Province that are originals ya know.. lol

I was doing some thinking on this as I drove aimlessly tonight. The Power Wagon doesn't have this valance... which almost instantly tells me it's probably a load of B.S. that this somehow improves economy, air circulation, blah blah blah... Perhaps it helps when coasting down hills? I mean if anything could use a helping hand in economy it would have to be the PW, no?

I think I may just resort to unbolting those that I can, and abusing the valance to some degree until it gives in. I saw this piece removed on a few Ram's and it gives it just a tad bit of attitude on the front end. I'll let ya know on the progress tomorrow.

Thanks y'all!!

Oh yeah dude born and raised Albertan! i would say go esks but uh we have some improving to do before trash talking can resume. Same with the limp wristed oilers of ours too. One day...

As for the valence dealy Yeah get most of the bolts or fasteners on and giver some hand torque Im sure something will give maybe are they just push darts?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

john M is right.

The valance creates a suction under the radiator pulling cool air into it. In normal driving situations, you wont notice too much of a temperature difference. However towing, or a day of a little led foot, or even highway driving all day, you will notice to truck running warmer.

The cooler the truck, more efficient and more power.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tore mine off with the license plate going through a ditch. I don't have any problems with overheating from speeding or towing and I tow loads up around the max the truck is meant for.

Steve

Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

What do your summer temps get to though? Seeing you're from Canada, I don't know your geography. Where at is Ontario in relation to the border? Not to be rude or doubting, but do your summer towing temps get up into the 100s? If not that might help. If so, then do you notice your temp gauge go up any? It shouldn't go up much.
You'd also think since the Power Wagon doesn't have it and does more pulling and work, they'd have them.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets up to 90F fairly often. We get a wider range of temperatures up here, it's not necessarily cooler in the summer. Around here you've got a 50/50 chance of finding a truck with the valance. They are a brutal design and these trucks are normally lower on the front end...totally crap. Dodge didn't think at all about attack angles when they built these trucks.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

ill look tomorrow to see if if can figure out how those bolts were. heres a pic of mine without.

Name:  Picture073.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  25.0 KB

Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I didnt really think about climate in relation to my fellow members. So to all of you who summer tow with no heating problems, i apologize. However, when i talk about summer towing, im thinking 115 degrees. Let me just say, with the little 4.7, hauling 8000 pounds travel trailer, up a 7% grade with 3.55 gears; you need every factory design, and even a little aftermarket help to keep your rig cool.

Trust me, these manufactures put odd ball things in odd ball places, for a reason. Thats why prototype vehicles look so cool, cause they have all the "have to have" crap on it.... safety and reliability....

but hell, i could be wrong...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 AM
BrianD215
Professional

I pulled mine off before I took it off road the first time. I figured I could either do it myself or have a big rock end up doing it for me without as much care. And since I wasn't sure whether or not I would want to put it back on when I got back, I actually took it off properly without destroying it. I believe most of the bolts were easy to get to just crawling under the bumper. I believe there were two bolts that were almost impossible to get the rachet on without breaking my wrist... until I decided to try reaching in through the fog light openings. I don't have fog lights so I just had to pop the little plastic vents out and then the defenseless little bolts were right there.

Damn, now I'm thinking about how sad it is that I don't have fog lights. Tomorrow I'll have to look and see if I have the wiring in there already.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM
RamNSX

HEMIGUY/SteveR! Canadians UNITE! Hey, did y'all get snow yesterday? I saw it snow at the Stampede once... hmm...*shakes head* You guys in Ontario have some sick summers! Your winters are rather hurtin' t' boot! I'll stop now... I'm killing this whole debate on Canadian weather being habitable... but before I stop I will maintain that when the next ice age comes about... only a toque (Hat for you American's) shall be required.

Anyways, I more so go for the idea of these valances reducing airflow directly underneath the truck, preventing the buildup of Parasite and Form Drag because of the uneven underworkings of the truck. This notion of cooling just isn't working for me. I resort to my old question which nobody can truly answer... Why doesn't the Power Wagon have one? ....and don't say it's because of the winch.... GAW!

Ried69... I like you're thinking!

Oh and I called three dealerships today and talked to three Service Managers... after my question I did manage to overhear: "uhh hmm...", "wh.. th.. fu...?", and "well... ughmm..."
Those could be highly technical responses that non mechanically inclined types are not meant to understand...

Quick Reply: SLT front bumper valance: AKA Black thingy