3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Incorrect Purge Flow, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
HollowPoint40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed responses, i will get under it and check soon.

So how much is this affecting the vehicle, performance, anything? What would happen if i never changed the line, what difference would it make?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

My brother in law has a crew cab fx4, 6.4 powerstroke. No matter how he drives it, easy and cool, or heavy and hot, he get 12 MPG. 14 on the freeway if there a tailwind, and he resets the mileage on a downhill slope in neutral. My dads 02 excursion with the badass 7.3 got 21 MPG on the highway. WTF!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's my understanding that a "minor" leak in the evap system is just an annoying CEL, the PCM doesn't change a thing as far as driveability or performance. You ought to clear the code and see how long it takes to come back, that will also tell you as to the severity of the leak...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Sadly, I know a lot of guys having major problems with their CTD 6.7s that you NEVER heard of with the 5.9!!!
heh....you don't wanna know what kind of **** i saw when I was working as a tech at the dealer....I was the only Dodge Tech at this dealer, and everyday it'd be guaranteed that we'd have 5 CTD trucks come in with some sort of issue.....it's rediculous, however...Cummins was working on getting a new exhaust into circulation that was suppose to fix alot of issues, but not sure if it's gotten there or not....haven't heard from my sources at Chrysler as of yet

but ya know, if you called STAR Center about it...they would tell you to replace the entire exhaust and to give the customer this DVD about not letting the truck sit and run....usually with a diesel, you'd start er up and never shut it off till you were done with it for the day or whatever...with the 6.7 and having the DPF and all that ****, they want ya to shut it off if it's gonna be idle for 5 minutes or longer

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
HollowPoint40

How would you clear the code? Unplug battery or something?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 AM
SoCal805Guy

Just today had my '98 Ram 2500 looked at for this code. My mechanic found that the vacuum directly next to the Leak Detection Pump was apparently installed/plugged in upside down. I've heard this is a bozo common mistake. Apparently the electrical wires are supposed to be on top, not the bottom. We matched up the tubes how they're supposed to connect and cleared the check engine light. So far no more problems, yet. This is an easy, quick check that would be worth checkingg out.

Quick Reply: Incorrect Purge Flow, how to fix?