3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Non-Functional to Functional Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 AM
anothercoolname
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Functional to Functional Hood Scoop

I own a 2005 Rumble Bee. It happens to come standard with one of the most annoying features a vehicle could have, a non functional hood scoop. Has anyone attempted a conversion to a functional scoop? I have what needs to be done, according to me, drawn out, but it is always nice to know someone else has treaded these waters before I have. Any ideas, pictures, instructions, kits?

Old 05-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Daytona Ram
Default RE: Non-Functional to Functional Hood Scoop

Don't know about the Rumble Bee but ... the Daytona and the SRT both use the same hood. The only difference between to scoop on the SRT and the Daytona is that the SRT one allows air to flo over the engine. There are no tubes, etc connected to it. For $50 list you can purchase the insert, remove and replace 5 screws and change it to the perf model for the Daytona.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Lateral-G
Professional
Default RE: Non-Functional to Functional Hood Scoop

I replaced the non-functional grill on my Ram Daytona with the one from the SRT-10. It was $25 at the dealer for the part. It takes a bit to get the scoop insert off to get the grille fascia. There are four nts on the bottom side of the scoop you need to remove. Then you need to gently pry the forward, painted portion up from the hood itself. The forward part uses 4 metal clips. One is accessable from the underside but the remaining 3 are blind. Use care and a wooden popsicle stick or similar to g e n t l y pry.

Once you get those clips free then the unit just lifts up and out. You then have to remove the 6 press on retainers. Plan on these getting totally destroyed when you try to remove them. There's no way I know of to remove them so they are re-useable. I just raised them a little by prying with a small screwdriver then snipped them off with a pair of side cutters.

Now you can go two ways here to install the new grille.If you get replacement press on retainers then you are fine. I didn't have any and didn't know where to get any except the dealer and it was a saturday so I cut off the ecess length of the mounting studs and used some small screws and washers. Once you have the parts in hand I think you'll see what I mean. You need some screws that will bite but aren't too long. The good thing is the mount posts are hollow and will accept screws with out the need to drill.

All that's left is to re-assemble in the reverse order. be carefull not to tighten the scoop nuts too tight as they go on to plastic studs.

hth

-G-

Quick Reply: Non-Functional to Functional Hood Scoop