3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
04QC4X4
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a wix filter with RP every 5k miles.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: I used Mobil 1 for years and years, usually with a Mobil 1 or Wix filter. I changed it at 3000 miles religiously.
After switching to RP almost 2 years ago in both my Grand Cherokee Overland and Ram, I tried going to 6000 mile intervals to offset the cost. My filter choices so far have been Wix and Purolator Pure1. At the 6k oil change, the RP looked cleaner and more like when I put it in, than the Mobil 1 ever did at 3k!
I've never sent my used oil out to be tested, but the naked eye tells me the RP is protecting better at 6k than the Mobil 1 did at 3k. Obviously these filters were also still doing their job, and quite well.
I'd say you would be perfectly fine waiting the 6k and changing both the oil and filter together...

+1 ^ good advice...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

anyone use the castrol edge yet? i really want to try it but its damn expensive.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Default What!!!!

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
anyone use the castrol edge yet? i really want to try it but its damn expensive.
BRO, SHAME ON YOU!!! Castrol is garbage. Well, not garbage, but its not worth the price. Anyways if you wanna try anything from Castrol, go with 0w-30 that says made in Germany. They market as synthetic but sell class III instead for a huge premium while ripping you off.
The only synthetic from Castrol is 0-30 made in Germany which is class 4 or 5. If I am wrong let me know...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i just want to know how you think castrol is so bad. i know eveyone and there grandma has a firm opinion on oil but how do you "know" castrol is "garbage"? unless you independatly test oil for a living. ive been using castrol gtx 5w30 since ive owned my 04 and the first few months ive actually increased the milage...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Any company that markets full synthetic and takes your money while lying to you in my opinion is garbage. Mobil took them to court but lost because AMerican judges suck. In Europe they dont play games with marketing bullshi*. Castrol's regular oil is par, however if you want to pay a premium for top notch oil and it must be Castrol go with the one that says made in Germany.
I base all my knowledge off research from Bob is the oil guy forums that load oil tests from a varying degrees of oil. They test all the wear for metallics, iron blah blah blah. They test for TBN and such. All I am saying is they lie and make money off it. I dont agree with their ethics when it comes to some products; I do support the made in Germany though, use it in my Lacrosse and have fantastic results.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I used RP and WIX filters also.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
matty_p
Professional

I started off running Mobil 1 and than a buddy got a job with RP so i switched. I was getting the oil REALLY cheap. When he moved, I stayed with the Rp for a while than switched back to Mobil 1 for the cost. I am a fan of the Rp, but to be completely honest, I didn't notice a bit of difference when I went back to Mobil 1. I have a 4.7, so maybe you'll notice a difference in the Hemi.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 AM
BrianD215
Professional

I'm actually going to go out and get the RP tomorrow and change it out. I've been planning it for like 2 weeks now. I have high hopes or this stuff after reading what everyone has been saying on this site.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by matty_p
I started off running Mobil 1 and than a buddy got a job with RP so i switched. I was getting the oil REALLY cheap. When he moved, I stayed with the Rp for a while than switched back to Mobil 1 for the cost. I am a fan of the Rp, but to be completely honest, I didn't notice a bit of difference when I went back to Mobil 1. I have a 4.7, so maybe you'll notice a difference in the Hemi.
It's funny you say that, because I noticed a much bigger difference in my Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 H.O. than in the truck.
The truck is getting about the same fuel economy, but does idle and run a bit smoother with the RP in it. It also seemed to quiet the "Hemi Tick" a good bit, still there, but not as noticeable.
The Jeep runs a good bit smoother plus for over a year now with the RP I am consistently getting 1.5-2 mpg better fuel economy than I was with Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple