3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

smoked third brake light/ LED

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
chopperzen
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some vinyl tint to try and it was crap. Haven't tried anything else. ramracing4.7ltr : what did you use on your headlights?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
That thing is bright when it is lit up. Since you have one you could answer this for me. Do you think that it would still let enough light through if I got one and added some additional tint to it?
I think so as long as you dont go too dark, I have never used tint so Im probaby not the best person to ask. sorry

Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Is that the medium or dark smoke you have on there?
Dark smoke. Same stuff I used over the amber strip on my headlights.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

all i have are the gts covers! but it dims me real bad late at night and wife hates ...it so i was thinking of another way to have em smoked out but with some good light! and your right....thats a real deap forest greeen but looks good! ive also thought about shining hid's through the covers to see how that does!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

well i have to chime in here now ive been looking at tinted vinyl everywhere and i mean everywhere and the site that raider gave us is a lil more pricy than say the ebay ads or anything ive found ...but its the thickest and my opinion is the thicker the better because its more the sun has to eat thru and if you live in fl or other hot *** states that sun beams right down on your truck all the time ....but there are some on ebay that say itll last 7yrs? will it really last that long and look great still or will it flake off and stick one of us with a messy job to clean up....im curious im about to order if i can find the right stuff......i want it blacked out.....period ....thanx raider for that website......and raider is it easy to work with all the ones on ebay show a vid and it looks fairly stupid proof.....

Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
chopperzen
Veteran

I use vinyl alot with work. There are two types of vinyl. Premium vinyl is a thinner mil. and will last around 7 years. It is a liquid, poured and rolled to sheets. Intermediate vinyl is a thicker mil. and will last 2 to 5 years. It is a pellet, melted and rolled to sheets. It doesn't last as long because it was once a round ball and over time wants to relax back. Thus releasing, splitting and curling. What I got on eBay was an intermediate black transparent vinyl used for backlit signs. Not for concave and convex surfaces.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

chopper....so what ur saying is the stuff on ebay a thinner material is better than what raider found? what kinda money do you get for shooting lights? anyway i had a place here in tampa bay quote me $200 for 2 tails....i opted to go vinyl so far just havent made the purchase.....

Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by chopperzen
I use vinyl alot with work. There are two types of vinyl. Premium vinyl is a thinner mil. and will last around 7 years. It is a liquid, poured and rolled to sheets. Intermediate vinyl is a thicker mil. and will last 2 to 5 years. It is a pellet, melted and rolled to sheets. It doesn't last as long because it was once a round ball and over time wants to relax back. Thus releasing, splitting and curling. What I got on eBay was an intermediate black transparent vinyl used for backlit signs. Not for concave and convex surfaces.
I didn't know that. Do you have any recommendations where we could get good vinyl to tint tails with? I was thinking about trying a viny product on my tails before I decide what I want to do about tinting my new tails.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

absolutly agree with oft and wanna try a vinyl but ill be honest i dont wanna spend alot on vinyl considering what tails go for on ebay already done or even around town so lets get some decent vinyl.....anyone....ort that stuff raider has looks good but is it the same kinda stuff on ebay and ebay is cheaper?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I saw some on eBay that is about $15 for both tails. It is so cheap that I don't know if it can be any good. I am probably going to try it on my stock tails and see how it works before I do anything to a new set of tails.

Quick Reply: smoked third brake light/ LED