3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inside tread starting to wear odd

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside tread starting to wear odd

Ok here's the deal. I bought new tires in Nov. I knew I needed an alignment, but I had bad balljoints and tierods, so I waited until the front end was rebuilt.

I've done this to my front end so far:
Lower balljoints
Upper balljoints/control arms
Outer tie rods
Shocks
Sway links/bushings.

When I had my tires put on I asked for the front end to be inspected, they said my lowers, outer tie rods, and sway links were toast. I was told the inner tie rods were good. I've replaced all this stuff listed and had an alignment done.

The spec sheet showed it was way out of whack prior to and back in spec after. The steering wheel prior was dead centered when driving, now after alignment its probably an inch off center while the truck is moving straight. I have barely 2000 miles on my tires and I can see the inner most tread is starting to wear oddly, not sure if its cupping or what, but its got ridges in the blocks instead of being smooth like the inner tread on the rear.

Do I blame the alignment shop since the steering wheel is off center and the front tires are wearing wierdly? Could it be the inner tie rods? My rack does leak a bit, but it seems to work fine. Not sure what else to look for. I spent 800 on tires not to keen on having them wear out prematurely.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
boosted-fc3s
Professional

Just to add, I maybe drove 100 miles on the tires before the alignment. Most of the miles were after alignment and new front end parts.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional

Anyone? Bueller?

Quick Reply: Inside tread starting to wear odd