3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjusted Bands

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
kylanmoore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusted Bands

2002. 5.9L. 46RE.

Problem started out to be this. When floored from a dead stop she would start in 1st and red line around 5.5K and never shift to 2nd. One of the guys here suggested I adjust the T.V. cable. I pulled the cable forward maybe 1/4 of an inch and the shifting worked just fine. Now when floored everything works perfect but from a slow move it seemed to just slip from around 2k and catch at 2.8k and then I could feel the movement.

Another research pointed out to adjust the bands (good move on my part .) I dropped the pan, delt with 4qts of nasty fluid. Cleaned the pan out ( had some grime on the bottom and the magnet was covered in gray sludge. I adjusted the rear band by loosing the nut but it was turning the bolt to. I removed the nut and bolt completely from the housing and broke it loose. I tried to barely move it so not to move to far from factory. I put it back inside the bracket, tighten down to where it was and loosened the nut 2 turns. Then torqued down to 75lbs according to http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm that.

Now it seems like it is slipping from a dead stop tell about 2k and catches! OMG what did I do?! Please halp!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pm or email montec. he will be able to help you out. he is a trans man. he is in the second gen alot. he knows his stuff.

heres his page.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members/483-montec.html

Last edited by talon6; 03-26-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
kylanmoore

Halp!

Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

After you torqued the bolt to 72 inch pounds, did you back the bolt off 3 turns like it says?

It also says in the write up " If the front band releases too early in the shift, the engine will overspeed (sounds and feels like a slip) during the 2-3 shift. "

What gear are you feeling this in also? all you state is going slow. Are you talking first gear slow? Another thing to consider is since you tightened your bands maybe you should try to put your T.V. cable (whatever that is...?) back to its origional location. Just something to try...

Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You adjusted the bands incorrectly. You should take off the nut and only leave the screw in, tighten that scew to 72 INCH POUNDS. Then back it off 3 turns. the screw will be loose, now install the nut making sure not to turn the screw.

The front band adjustment screw is on the out side of the transmission.

Quick Reply: Adjusted Bands