3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced axle and found..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 10:18 PM
TXhemi04
|

totp?.....let me know how the removal goes!

Old 03-26-2009 | 11:06 PM
Trigger
Professional

Of
The
Page

I'm waiting to hear from someone what's involved in removing them. Any special tools? Do I need to get the torch out? Anything??

Feel free to chime in.

Old 03-27-2009 | 04:22 AM
abarmby
Champion

Hi Trigger.

I actually managed to remove my clips with angled and also right angled needle nose pliers. But, my clips were already "walking" out of their pockets, due to the little W part of the clip already being snapped off.
This alowed me enough room to get a pair of pliers on the end and wiggle the clips out.
I'm not sure if you can remove a "complete" undamaged clip, as there seemed to be little room to do that with the LSD fitted when I removed mine???
I cannot advise therefore, you try this unless the clip is damaged, then I'm positive it's doable.
As for the 7/7 warranty you mentioned in your PM, I'm from the UK and we don't have that over here, so one of the guys on this forum will chip in with regards to weather or not the diff will be covered. I believe it will be.
Have you pulled the cover and checked for these small metal pieces yet?
If you have them, get the truck to the dalers and get a replacement ASAP as the clips WILL be cutting into the carrier. Look for the tell tail metal "sparlies" in the diff oil as well.
Keep the metal fragments, and show the dealership to support your claims.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-27-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2009 | 07:33 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by abarmby
Hi Trigger.

... I'm not sure if you can remove a "complete" undamaged clip, as there seemed to be little room to do that with the LSD fitted when I removed mine??? Al.
That was my issue, as well. At 94K, the clutch pack retainers were fully intact. I messed with 'em a bit to see if I could remove 'em anyway. I gave up, not wanting to get started and then be unable to get them completely out. They're still there. With so few miles, it may be two years before I open it up again.

Old 03-27-2009 | 08:54 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
That was my issue, as well. At 94K, the clutch pack retainers were fully intact. I messed with 'em a bit to see if I could remove 'em anyway. I gave up, not wanting to get started and then be unable to get them completely out. They're still there. With so few miles, it may be two years before I open it up again.

Firstly............I'm really not trying to frighten anybody or start a rant about this problem which Dodge know about but.........................
I wouldn't leave ANY early 2003-05 1500 Ram with the stock lsd, over the 15000 mile service interval.
It's not a question of If the LSD clips go.........rather, WHEN!

You know, when you look at other manufacturers diff service intervals, they are appreciably much longer than the Dodge schedules.
I believe from a past post somebody mentioned Chevy's are 100K???
Why is this?
Is the 15K intervals by Dodge, to make sure and check on these clips?
It's a great money earner for the dealerships as well.
The cynic in me says an unequivicable YES!!!!!
The stock LSD's need the pumkin pulling and not just a syphon of the old oil out, with the gears thoroughly inspected every 15K.
Especially if you don't have a warranty. It will save thousands of dollars.
Remember, if these clips cut into the carrier, it's an entire whole new axle we're talking about.
Remember "a stich in time.......saves nine".
Hope this helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-27-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Adding text.
Old 03-27-2009 | 09:26 AM
abarmby
Champion

Off subject a bit but.............I have a couple of pics I want to post up showing the Detroit TruTrac instalation in my truck.
When I try to upoad them, I get a message that I have gone over my attachment limit.
Do I have to delete old attachments and will they still be on DF to view in my posts if I do???
Al.

Old 03-27-2009 | 03:33 PM
Trigger
Professional

Sorry guys the clip removal didn't quite go as planned. After removing the cover I found one broken clip on the magnet and another wedged between the bearing cap and housing. Nice deep groove cut into the cap.
Needless to say I called my local dealer and sent the truck in on a tow truck. We'll see what they say next week.

Old 03-27-2009 | 08:37 PM
TXhemi04
|

im kinda thinking on just getting a new lsd all together...anyone have a suggestion for an 2004

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:57 AM
Trigger
Professional

Originally Posted by TXhemi04
im kinda thinking on just getting a new lsd all together...anyone have a suggestion for an 2004

I hear the Detroit TruTrac is so awesome it will cure cancer and bring peace to the world

Of course, I haven't been able to verify these claims myself

Old 03-31-2009 | 08:25 PM
SteveR
Captain

Did you get your whole rear axle replaced? The retainers on my right hand side have eaten away about 1/8" from the rear bearing cap. It's amazing but depressing at the same time... I'm not sure it's enough to break the cap though, I may just change the bearings and get this thing back on the road.

Steve

Quick Reply: Replaced axle and found..