3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passenger door doesn't seem closed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
snidehockey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door doesn't seem closed

I have an '04 QC and the passenger door is really weird. Of course it has huge wind noise on the highway, but it also feels like it wasn't shut when you open it. Like it feels like it wasn't latched. You can lean on it and it stays shut, but I think the latch isn't quite holding it shut properly...

I read in a wind noise thread that I could "loosen two bolts 1/2 turn, tap latch in, and tighten back up...door will shut harder but problem will go away"

I assume that would be the bolts around the latch, and the latch would be moved towards the hood? Kinda foggy on which direction to 'tap the latch'

Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Grease it up, that usually fixes latches.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Open up the door and on the cab part of the door opening,Theres a "U" shaped part with 2 torx bolts holding it to the cab.Thats the part you need to adjust.I had to do the samething to my drivers door and this is how I did it.I drew a line from the body down across the bracket and the top bolt,Then i did the same thing on the bottom bolt.Then i lossened up the bolts just enough that if i tapped it with a small hammer it would move a little bit at a time.I tapped it over toward the inside of the cab untill the lines i drew on the bracket were just on the inside of the lines i drew on the cab.tightened the bolts back up and closed the door to see if it worked right.And it did.you might have to keep adjusting the bracket in or out depeneding how much you need your door to seal.

I hope this helps a little

Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Could be possible you might need new rubbers. Sometimes when the rubbers get worn out, they wont seal right, and the door wont feel as 'tight' when you shut it. But I would vote for the latch before I bought new rubbers.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
snidehockey
Rookie

AWESOME - thank you! Very well explained!

I will give it a try and share the results!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
texas red
Amateur
Default yep yep hinges

Same cab as yourself freeway speed/crosswinds at times seemed like a window was cracked open a bit.

I do alot of freeway/highway driving (greatly annoying in wyoming with the winds up there this winter ugh) I had to do both my fronts with the afore mentioned hinge job they give plenty of play behind the latch plate for adj. mine are like new again no more noise.

Just did same to all for doors of wifes lil grand am (p.o.s. btw hate it) but seals now lol barely ha!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

There is a TSB for the weather stripping on the top of the front doors.

Quick Reply: Passenger door doesn't seem closed