3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lookin For 456 Gears for your 1500???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
287cc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
$350? Not much more for new. Also, most people on Craigslist won't ship and don't have Paypal or don't wanna deal with shipping or cashing any checks.
If it were me. I'd buy Brand New gears to put in my truck. i wouldn't put used gears into a $1800 job period! Especially just to save a buck or 2 at most.
That, and it would be better to buy all the parts direct from the shop that will install the gears for you. Just in case the tech runs into a problem and say's sorry but we did not supply these, so you will be getting charged double for labor.

It had happened to me when I had my gears installed at a shop that I bought the parts from. Turns out the gears had a defect in them so the shop had to keep my truck another day since they would not release it back to me. I did not get it charged any different, but I would diffinitely been pissed if I bought my gears used or new from an online site just to save $50 - $75 bucks. Some mods are worth it, but gears in my opinion are not.

Just my 2 cents

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by Seanutz
You are a craigslistin MFer alpheus!
Its my homepage when I first get on the internet. As soon as I click my Firefox icon it searches the word Ram in Auto parts. I check that before I look at anything else. Im always looking for the BBD. (Bigger,Better,Deal)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

i love craigslist....i advertise on my business on there all the time , plus sell /buy lots of stuff on there....im always searching for srt hoods, bumpers etc...but if it was gears id probably go towards the new as well

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
nope, gears cannot increase the engines output, but they get you into and keep you into the powerband faster/longer.

Very beneficial for getting a lot of weight moving from a standstill and it will really help the longevity of the transmission, especially towing...
Thanks for that. You answered several questions for me in another thread about buying a Ram 1500. I decided to go with it, 07 1500, Quadcab, 4x4 Hemi. I'll drive it awhile and if it proves to be reliable I'll do a few mods like the gears. Anything to save the weak trans.

Quick Reply: Lookin For 456 Gears for your 1500???