3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flat black or BUST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Twink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black or BUST!

Well im home for a good week from work with a goose egg the size of a baseball on my head soo workers comp is paying my wage so il put up a couple pictures of the body work / paint process if anyone wants to rid of there chrome or go black!!! i found a good process of covering those crappy chrome bumpers with a slick flat black.. Pardon my crappy pix there from my cell phone ( my new camera broke already ) .

this is about 2 weeks in the works. I dont have a picture of it fully painted i didnt have my phone but i will have some good pix in the next couple days.

First off my Truck, Had to Feather out sand down and high build primer the deeper car mark spots;
Name:  IMAGE_304.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  IMAGE_287.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.9 KB

After That i Masked her up to give it a Top Coat Spray of a Matte Black Formula
Name:  IMAGE_311.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  48.7 KB

Then i Began to paint the Cab
Name:  IMAGE_312-1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  41.8 KB

After the paint cured i noticed that Lordco ( local auto parts store ) mixed the wrong paint for me so after about 20 hours of sanding work i spent another 10 sanding the black all down again
Name:  IMAGE_312-1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  41.8 KB
Name:  IMAGE_316-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  42.6 KB

After the Truck was Painted i Move onto My Grill Which i Lightly Sanded using 800 Grit Sandpaper and then Lightly In about 4 Coats added black tremclad The lighter the coats and more time u take the more even and better final result you will get.
Name:  IMAGE_303.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  89.3 KB
Name:  IMAGE_302.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  IMAGE_308.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  106.0 KB

After I Finished the Grill i moved onto the Headlights, i Decided to not go with Eyelids for one because i could not find any and 2 no one has a flat black pair of eye lids for sale on the market so i decided to sand the lights down and shoot color myself. I lightly Sanded the lenses down after i got an idea of the Shape / Look i wanted, i used 1200 Grit for this. Same thing as the grill the lighter the coats and more u do the better the result.
Name:  IMAGE_319.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  IMAGE_321.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  46.4 KB
Name:  IMAGE_322.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  IMAGE_328.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  41.9 KB

After the Headlights were done it was time to move to my Bumpers ( front only for now ) The plastic was damaged from the previous owner of the truck so i also decided to prime and paint it.. The Chrome bumpers are surprisingly easy to get paint to adhere too. People will tell you to have chrome bead blasted powder coated.. But u dont need to go that extreme. I took the time using RED scotch brite pads and gave it a real good scuff around the plastic peices. I then lightly sanded with GREY scotch bright pads the black plastic. After this i Lightly Added Self Etching Primer to achieve a good adhearing surface for the black paint, again the lighter the coats the better.
Name:  IMAGE_331.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  48.2 KB
Name:  IMAGE_333.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  IMAGE_335.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  51.4 KB
Name:  IMAGE_336.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  43.2 KB

All i got for now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_312-1.jpg (41.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Twink
Veteran

and folks this can also be done with color if anyone wants to put eye lids on there trucks! just lightly sand take your time and get color matching paint and your set to go!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your head, hope your feel better. You have done a crazy amount of stuff to your truck, can't wait to see your track times. Did you replace any of the internal parts of the engine to deal with the extra power from the blower and nitrous?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
JohnnysArt
All Star

GREAT write up man.
What brand of paints did you use? I've been wanting to paint the plastic part of my bumper thats grey and the fog light inserts. BTW the pic's look good.

johnny.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Twink
Veteran

Originally Posted by chambers
Sorry to hear about your head, hope your feel better. You have done a crazy amount of stuff to your truck, can't wait to see your track times. Did you replace any of the internal parts of the engine to deal with the extra power from the blower and nitrous?

i just did a little top end work, new rods springs and a valve trim, also got some aluminum head gaskets

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Twink
Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnnysArt
GREAT write up man.
What brand of paints did you use? I've been wanting to paint the plastic part of my bumper thats grey and the fog light inserts. BTW the pic's look good.

johnny.

i used tremclad, i've painted a few of my bush trucks with it and its tough sheit. But any paint will work as long as its outdoor and plastic rated. But keep in mind the key to any paint job may i be rattle can or outta a spray gun the prep is what counts

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 AM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Originally Posted by Twink
i used tremclad, i've painted a few of my bush trucks with it and its tough sheit. But any paint will work as long as its outdoor and plastic rated. But keep in mind the key to any paint job may i be rattle can or outta a spray gun the prep is what counts
Been looking at getting a new grill and want to get that painted also. Thanks again for the how to, this is an AWESOME thread.

DF should make this a sticky.

johnny.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Love it. Headlights look sick! Now you can join the black truck club! haha, hope you get to feeling better man.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i'd sticky it..but it goes in diy...

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
JohnnysArt
All Star

Originally Posted by derricksmash
i'd sticky it..but it goes in diy...
Whats diy?