3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer box....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe included them with my box...His idea not mine. Credit where credit is due. Joe fox had a ram, and the prototype for our box was made for his truck. He worked a lot of the bugs out, appaently.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
mfs212
Captain

Ahhh...I saw the infamous airflow question about my amps...I LOVE IT!!!

There are 2 vents built into our trucks to (from all I can find) regulate air pressure inside the cab. They do a surprisingly good job of keeping my amps cool. I did take that into consideration, and if you see my sig, my largest amp (for my subs) is a class D, which are smaller and produce less heat.

A buddy of mine had one of the D1200's and i noticed it made very little heat, and we were hitting it well. So i got one, and have had no issues with overheating or amps going into protect.

Al....PHOTOBUCKET...upload your pics into photobucket, and take the IMG link and post it. Then magically your pics will appear. I back up many of the pics from my camera into photobucket. Also, what did u do with ur tweets?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mfs212
Ahhh...I saw the infamous airflow question about my amps...I LOVE IT!!!

There are 2 vents built into our trucks to (from all I can find) regulate air pressure inside the cab. They do a surprisingly good job of keeping my amps cool. I did take that into consideration, and if you see my sig, my largest amp (for my subs) is a class D, which are smaller and produce less heat.
A D1200 is an Orion HCCA isnt it? Up in post 6 you will also see where I cut out an area in my rack board to keep those vents unblocked. I also think it is important to keep them accessable via air flow.

Good call on that one.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I'm going to go with the foxbox. Now when I do this should I upgrade my head unit and door speakers as well? I think I will put the amp under the drivers seat.

Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate it.

-Erik

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I did my entire system all at the same time but I think it just depends on how much time and money you have.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM
mfs212
Captain

Good call on the foxbox!

Weedahoe: I like that panel you made...makes it look very nice...

There is one minor mod that is WELL worth and extra $130 and would be good to do while your are in there working...FATMAT! It is a generic version of dynamat, that is made and applied the same way.

It made a HUGE difference, less road noise, and most of the sound stays IN the truck, making your system work more efficiently. It is really easy to take out all of the seats, then the carpet comes up with no problems. Then you can lay your fatmat and run your wires. I put it EVERYWHERE, but the doors need extra focus, because they are like tin cans. Just my $.02...

Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
mfs212
Captain

Sorry guys, being a Sound Engineer/Musician/DJ, I have a lot of input on the subject of sound systems.

Moreover, if you do buy door speakers, I would go with some components that allow you the freedom put your tweets where u like em. I put mine in the headliner, in the corners, but some like them elsewhere. It provides a much more...spacious sound field. The midbass response on a component speaker is much better than that of a coax (tweet mounted to speaker) since there is no hole in the woofer, allowing it to move more air.

Here are some pics that I have posted in other threads...I think I am going to write up a DIY for it. It might be useful.

Name:  TFL.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  11.3 KB

Name:  TBR.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
abarmby
Champion

Hi and thanks for the Photobucket help mfs212.
As for my Tweets, I haven't as yet bothered with that aspect.
I did funnily enough, replace the door speakers with components, so I agree with your comments about that aspect.
I'll try to post up some pics of my Fox box install and yes, Joe included the seat spacers with my box. They insatlled great and I have no space issues with my subs.
Al.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
mfs212
Captain

You may want to take a look into it. It makes a BIG difference! Well worth the time. Cheers friend!

Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
abarmby
Champion

Here's the pic as promised.

Al

Quick Reply: Subwoofer box....