3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello! newbie to dodge! have some ?'s about the 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
sabedra211
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! newbie to dodge! have some ?'s about the 4.7L

Hello i just baught a 2004 4.7 L dodge ram quadcab . it had 109,xxx miles on it. Well i found out it doesnt use plug wires it uses coils? How often do you need to change the coils? I changed the plugs, oil, and cleaned the air filter. Im feeling a little hesistation if i accelerate slowly at highway speeds. it shakes a little but Also it shakes when im coming to a stop. I dont know im feeling a lack of performance? So what needs to be done at this mileage to restore performance? According to my stopwatch it goes 0-60 in 11.34 seconds. is this avg? Also im getting Avg eco of 11.9mpg. But so far i really like this truck! i love the interior its the laramie pkg. really happy to be a dodge owner! Thanks and really appreciate any input!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

welcome to the forum.......i pretty much have the same truck...buuuttt 0-60 in 11 sec? if thats so, its time for exhaust , tuner , gears ...etc..! i think the usual stock avg 0-60- is about 8.7 sec - 9sec for 4.7 s my avg eco is crap because i drive it like a race car so for that you may have to ask the eco friendly drivers on here lol

Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

with that milage and your shuddering i would be lookin under the rig . check the tires first then inspect the ball joints if they are factory they could need a change with that kinda milage

Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What he said...

Are these stats before or after new plugs/oil/etc?

Also, what size tires are on it. It may be miscalibrated, which could throw off the already inacurate computer reading. Try doing a hand calc, and see what you get.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
pdavis53
All Star

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you leave your wallet away from the computer while on this forum. You will get all kinds of ideas that you will end up wanting to do! Trust me I already have. As for the Shuttering when slowing, mine did that to I just replaced the pads and rotors and it went away. I would also check the ball joints, like said before. There are threads on here on how to properly check the ball joints. Again welcome to the Dodge clan.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another 4.7 on here. Everybody is always talking about their HEMI and 5.9. BAH I say!!! BAH!!!

lol. There are quite a few mods for the 4.7, but they usually pricey to be done right. If you want a little better performance, go with the big 3, and go from there. Another good tip is when you get a chance, clean your throttle body. I just did it, and my throttle response came back.

Last tip: Use the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) sticky notes a the top of the page. It has just about every basic question answered.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
sabedra211
Rookie

I thot they were the tires too but i got news one for it. the tires are HP wranglers p275 60 R 20. it still has a little shake. It did this too before the new spark plugs. I put autolite sparkplugs in it. I dont remember the model number? But i gapped them at .40. The shake while accelerating feels almost like a misfire. but im not getting an engine light?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
sabedra211
Rookie

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another 4.7 on here. Everybody is always talking about their HEMI and 5.9. BAH I say!!! BAH!!!

lol. There are quite a few mods for the 4.7, but they usually pricey to be done right. If you want a little better performance, go with the big 3, and go from there. Another good tip is when you get a chance, clean your throttle body. I just did it, and my throttle response came back.

Last tip: Use the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) sticky notes a the top of the page. It has just about every basic question answered.
Hey did u remove your throttle body to clean it?? If so how did u take it off? I saw a write up on here but its for the hemi tb.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
pdavis53
All Star

Check this link out it talks about all of the service recalls and issues with our trucks. You might find something there. Also I know on the older 5.9's they put out a TSB on re0routing the Sparkplug wires due to a misfire. That may be your problem as well.

http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/

Old 04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I removed the throttle body. Its pretty much the same on the 4.7 as it is on the HEMI. Same basic instructions, details maybe a little different.

Took it off, disconnected everything, sprayed everything down, dried out, installed, and whala!

Quick Reply: Hello! newbie to dodge! have some ?'s about the 4.7L